Final exhaust system solution

OK, I broke out the credit card today and took the Jeep to an exhaust shop so they could put on a decent exhaust system. It's *much* quieter like this and now I shouldn't have to worry about scraping my mufflers off.

mufflers are not straight through. The whole thing is almost*too* quiet. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Looks good!

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

travis did pass the time by typing:

Nice looking setup.

Now all you need is a couple of these.

:D

Just kidding.

Reply to
DougW

That shop did a NICE job!

Paul B.

Reply to
PLB49

Reply to
twaldron

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Please, no fart cans on a Jeep.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Darn it Bill, I was lookiing for that one, should have known you'd have it :-) Dave Shannon

Reply to
Dave Shannon

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:59:30 -0600, "DougW" shared the following:

I thought about telling the guy working on my exhaust that I was gonna run out and buy a couple of those to finish off the job, but I had too much respect for his work to joke with him about it. :-) Reminds me of the "custom job" I did on my wife's Honda just after getting it home...

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

.. was driving between Toronto and Montreal recently.. a dark night and in dense traffic.. heard a noise and thought the worst.. intermittent at first, then continuous.. gotten ready to pull off of the highway.. noise gradually moved from back to front of the jeep.. looked left and there is this Impreza WRX or Mitsu Lancer Evo.. couldn't tell which as it was dark and the car had a black paint job.. had this muffler end on it that looked like an Angel shark searching for food.. instead of pulling off of the highway, considered driving over the car.. when will there be an official hunting season on ppl who have these damn things?.. lol

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

That's better, but it still sucks.

You must get those headers inside the frame so that they can be routed between the tub and the skid plate. I suppose this is only "really" important if you will be doing any rock crawling. The problem you have now is that the rocker panels (the area under the door openings) spends a lot of time draging over stuff, and the exhaust pipes are going to get creamed.

My header comes down reasonably near the firewall, and follows the floor, and is protected by the frame, but it still has significant scratching and scaring caused by being drug across stuff. What I am saying is that my exhaust system is protected much better than your's, but I still have significant damage that just can't be avoided.

Reply to
CRWLR

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:38:41 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Uh...thanks?

That's not happening with this set of headers.

After I get my body lift installed I may (not right away) have them route the pipes *over* the frame instead of just under it. Still, the headers are going to exit on the outside of the frame. Do they even make a set of headers for the V8 that exit inside of the frame? I haven't seen any.

I'm confident that with my most excellent driving skills *cough cough* I'll avoid most all damage to my Jeep and it's exhaust system. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yes, there are some.

You do not want enough body lift that you can route the headers between the tub and the frame rails.

Yeah, right. ;-)

Reply to
CRWLR

OK, "sucks" is a bit harsh. You will have trouble where the exhaust crosses over from outside the frame ti inside the frame, right in front of the spring perches for the rear springs.

You need to be very careful when going over stuff like boulders and stumps. My frame is very scratched up in the area where you exhaust pipes cross under the frame.

Reply to
CRWLR

Hey Travis,

Hedman makes the under chassis headers for your Jeep. The part number is

99200 and they are available from Summit for $120. There are some footnotes about installation and fit, so you'll have to read those to make sure that they are going to work for you should you go that route in the future.

Fitment footnotes:
Chris

L.W.(ßill)

We don't know one way or the other that the driveshaft has already taken care of itself. What we do know is that the exhaust system is waiting to be smashed flat right behind the headers. We also know the exhaust system goes across the frame at direct right angles to the direction of travel, AND they hang down as though they were reaching out for a stump or a rock to grab a hold of.

If ever there was a need for a skid plate (or two), this is it.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)