OT - Motorcycle fuel mileage

My commute is such that I could do it in half the time on a bike, but I need more to get Mrs. CRWLR onboard. She is not liking the idea very much.

I want to sell her on the idea that I will save enough on gas for the BMW to finance the payment on the bike. I am talking about a Real Bike here, not any sissy scooter. I have my eye on a big-bore, but have not settled on a particular make or model. I pretended for a long time that I would want a Goldwing or equivelent, but that plan supposes that Mrs. CRWLR would be a willing passenger. It seems that she won't even go into the garage if the bike is out there, let alone slide it between her knees. I have now broadened my horizons to include the cruiser class (Harley and clones) as well as the touring class (Goldwing and clones). I have no interest in the crotch rockets.

My off topic question is, what sort of mileage do you guys with the Harley type and the Goldwing type bikes get? I am hoping the number is in the 35+ mpg range, but my BMW delivers 25 mpg, so I need a pretty high differential in bike mileage vs. car mileage to make my sales pitch work.

Reply to
CRWLR

L.W.(ßill)

You could walk around in a circle in a dazed/glazed look on your face murmering "I gotta have a bike. I gotta have a bike".....

:-)

differential

Reply to
William Oliveri

OT ... my brother and I always biked when younger, he used a bike to commute. One fine summer morning a driver going the opposite direction fell asleep at the wheel resulting in my brother's death. I never rode a bike again. Maybe give a listen to the mrs concerns.

differential

Reply to
bowgus

I have been riding for over 30 years (Harleys) all sporsters and my 03 gets

45 mpg stage II performance mod at 70 hp.
Reply to
HarryS

The last time I rode, I had to lay the bike down twice coming up Yonge St. in Toronto Canada!

It was raining and one person in a wagon cut a left in front of me so I either was going to broad side them or dump, I dumped and slid, they kept going.

Got the bike back up and shook my head and kept going home. One light from home some other fool comes roaring out from the left right in front of me and I had to drop it again. Once again, the ass didn't stop, he just kept on going.

I straightened out the mirror, shook my head again and made it home and parked it. That was about 9 years ago, bike is still behind the garage where I left the sucker.

I will never drive a street bike again, trail bike, yes, in a quick second!

Mike

bowgus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"bowgus" wrote

... and I've been riding for 20+ years and have never died nor had anyone that I now first hand die from a motorcycle crash.

Another data point.

Reply to
-jc

"Mike Romain" wrote

Not to second guess you Mike, but if you had time to lay it down and avoid the collision, it's highly likely that you had time to brake and maneuver and avoid the crash all together.

Reply to
-jc

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I thought I wanted one to, even got all my financing done at the dealer before I changed my minnd. I still have my endorsement and used to love riding friends bikes (mostly crotch rockets). That was before my future brother-in-law ended up with brain damage and other assorted injuries on his (driver pulled out in front of him). Now I don't think I need one anymore. I like my melon just the way it is. So I bought a CJ instead!

Good luck... be careful. Never assume another driver sees you!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle
25 mpg on a Bimmer? there must be something wrong with it if it's a newer model.

i've got the biggest gas guzzling Bimmer made, a K1200RS, and I still manage

35 mpg. typically the boxers are managing between 45-55 mpg. check your numbers, or bike, before trying to make such an argument based on fuel economy!

differential

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"It may be just me, but isn't this a question that is better suited for a motorcycle newsgroup, and not a bunch of gearhead offroaders?" ;)

Seriously, I know you're not into the sportbikes, but I have a 2000 Yamaha YZF600R and a classic 1981 Kawasaki GPz550. both of those get better than 40mpg. While these are midbores, the newer big bores should too.

Why d> My commute is such that I could do it in half the time on a bike, but I need

Reply to
twaldron

Hope Mrs CRWLR doesn't have a spread sheet cause the math just doesn't work out.

Assuming $2/gallon on gas and a 50 mile round trip per day commute the monthly gas cost 25 mpg is $80. If you bought some gas sipping scooter that gets 65 mpg the monthly gas cost is 30.77. You'll save about $50.

Now the payment on $7,500 for 60 months @ 6% will run you $145. So you'll still have to come up with about $100 extra per month. And that doesn't include insurance, tax, license, etc. And those big bikes cost as much as a car, no where near $7,500.

I rode street bikes when I was a kid and impervious to damage. ;-). How I lived to adulthood mystifies me. They are called donor-cycles for a reason. Now I ride around in my Jeep, top and doors off and it is better IMHO than any motorcycle. I have all the fresh air I can possibly breath, plus I have airbags and seat belts just incase something were to happen.

Dean and if bikes weren"t so #%^&&~~ dangerous I'd still have one, but I want to live past adulthood and into old age.

Reply to
Dean

differential

Reply to
nds

'02 HD Electra Glide Classic, avg about 50mpg at an average speed of 65 mph. City riding is around 35 mpg. Similar numbers on my '01.

I don't know what your riding experience is, but I strongly suggest taking a MSF experienced riders course.

Hope that helps.

Mike

98 TJ SE 02 FLHTCi

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
GzrGlide

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

and your lack of trust is based on what exactly? more folklore bill?

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)