OT - Motorcycle fuel mileage

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

The BMW has the pricks on the inside.

Reply to
HarryS

LOL!

Well... It has 2 wheels and a gas engine and the name Daimler Puch on it, so yes...!

I also have a Triumph 3 wheel Trike in the back of the garage...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

i'm just educating good-ole' Bill so he may not be so inclined to question my integrity again.

Reply to
KJ

Sweet!

That sucker would be worth half a fortune these days!

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

nope. only single cylinder, boxers, and four-cylinders in the current line up. the 4-cyl. is water cooled and oil cooled, the other two are just oil cooled.

look into the Yamaha FJR for a fine sport-tourer. a great bike in it's own right.

do you see yourself as more sport-tourer, or just tourer?

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have owned and ridden bikes over 600lbs ... my current street bike is a bit over 400lbs. It's often the Harley guys that think "laying her down" is the right thing to do ... sheesh. ;-)

Why on earth would you bet that?

Reply to
-jc

"Mike Romain" wrote

Used to be acquaintances with a "real biker" that had a VW powered trike ... he would pull huge wheelies down main street. It had a fake coffin gas tank ... the real fuel tank was a 15 gal Olympia keg.

Reply to
-jc

touché Bill. i stand corrected. you'll just have to trust me that the common local use here is as i had stated (the other way around), and i'm just not saying that to avoid eating crow; it's obvious i'm already past that point.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

KJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Mine has a scooter front with full scooter faring and will lift the front wheel up in a half second....

It also has a mean rubber u-joint thingie between the front 'scooter' half and the rear trike half so the seat and front half can lay down sideways to about 45 deg in a slow tight corner with both back wheels still on the ground.

Mike

-jc wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Think about it, Mike. One front wheel carrying 95% of the weight of a bike and rider, under full braking (not a skid) will still provide more traction than two wheels in a skid. In a skid the tire actually floats on molten rubber, your "grease". The tire provides the same amount of surface area contact with the pavement, no matter what direction it is pointed in, but can only skid if traveling sideways. The physics doesn't work. In a situation like you describe, if I had time to react properly ( other than saying some magic words) It would be best to brake as hard as possible as long as possible to lose speed, then stand up before impact to try to go over the car instead into/under the door. Nowhere in any motorcycle school, operating manual, or instructional manual does it recommend "laying down" a bike. Telling a new rider that it is desirable to crash on purpose could get them killed.

-- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

Don't forget Helmet, gloves, boots, riding clothes/suits, rain gear, etc. If you get a Goldwing, you need other stuff like Microwave, toaster, blender, sink, etc.

-- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

I stand corrected. But even if she doesn't want it make sure you don't buy the really cool Solo seats. That'd be a snub. And if she's a little XL like mine, buy a custom touring Two-Up seat instead of the extra-chrome you really want. But who would want an automatic Z-3 ?

Hope you get your dream,

Andrew

Reply to
reply

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

There are a few scenarios where sliding could be good, such as you are about to hit a moose, cow, or semi-trailer broadside. Unfortunalely, there is never time to think, only react.