overheating everytime change hose-'90 jeep cheroke 4x4

everytime i change the the hoses going into the thermastate, it starts to overheat, i put more coolant in it, but it continues to over heat, the last time i replaced the thermastat, it continued to over heat for a while then i let it sit for a while then it seemed to fix it self, yesterday i had a pin hole in one of the bypass hose, i replaced the hose and then it started to overheat again, is there something i am missing, or something i am doing wrong, when i refill the coolant,

Reply to
glacial

Have you changed your coolant every two years? If not two things come to mind first the impeller on the water pump is shot due to acid build up by not changing your coolant and the other is your radiator or engine block is clogged and needs a chemical flush or you could have both problems. Even though the manufacturers of antifreeze tought 2-5 years of use I have seen acids build up at 1.5 years use test strips and check every 3 months.

Coasty

You are probably getting an air pocket trapped in/around the thermostat. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the thermostat while you are at it. If the thermostat doesn't have a "burp" hole in the top you need to either drill one or go get a thermostat that DOES have the hole (and make sure the hole is on top).

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter