Thanks for help on Liberty tires: any thoughts on these two Bridgestones?

Thanks for all the public and direct e-mail advice on the Liberty tires. (Note: I'm sending this from a new gmail account 'cause I got fet up with stupid Yahoo ads.) Since I'll be stationed in the RAINY United Kingdom for a few years I'm giving up on the selection of Goodyears at the base and am going to ship in some well-reviewed Bridgestones from tirerack.com (who ship tires to military FPO addresses - God bless 'em!!!) Need to do this soon because the Missus was driving the Liberty up a hill in London last week and said the back tires were breaking loose on the asphalt! :-P

Narrowed it down to two 235 70R 16s: the Dueler A/T Revo

and the Dueler H/L Alenza
Considering the main objective is wet street and highway safety for a while I was prepared to order the Alenza highway tires, but after an hour of reading tirerack.com reviews from people who describe mixed or mostly on-road use, I'm wondering if the Dueler's might not be just as good on the road. Everybody raves about their wet pavement handling, and noise and comfort levels. They actually receive higher scores than the Alenza although that may be an apples and oranges comparison because the raters of the Duelers may be used to A/T tires on pickups, etc. and comparing them to previous A/T tires, whereas the Alenzas may be rated by Honda CRV owners comparing to other highway tires.

Any thoughts appreciated, and again, thanks for all the advice.

Cheers, Al.

Reply to
atappman

Where are you going to be based ?

Dave Milne

atappman

Meet you for a beer if you like in January - I'm usually in London once a month or so (office is in Parliament square opposite Big Ben).

Dave Milne

On 23 Nov 2005 09:36:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: I have the AT Revo's on a TJ, excellent in rain and snow...

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

I went with the Revo. My wife still hauls scout troops in the Liberty and when they get caught on the freeway in a frog strangeling downpour I want her to have a fighting chance. As long as the Libby is hauling other people's kids it will have new, stock size tires. Her Libby is about to flip 60,000 miles and I will probablly put Wife into a different car before long. Then I plan to put a Detroit locker in the rear and a 1 1/2 inch budge boost and got to 33's. I will probablly tear it up, but the kids will be out of the house by then and what else is there to do with money...

One Real Nice Thing(tm) about the Liberty is that there are a zillion of them out there so there will be parts around forever.

Reply to
jcwelch

I believe the recommended tire for the 2 inch lift is a 31"

Reply to
Billy Ray

I just bought stock size Revo's a few weeks ago for my 00 WJ. Not a moment too soon. A couple days later we got our first snow/ice storm of the season. I had to TRY losing grip on uncleared streets in 2WD and even then it was extremely briefly. In full-time 4WD (Selec-Trac) I thought I was back on dry pavement. Rain didn't even phase them. They also get much better dry traction than other tires I've had on this and my old Tahoe.

Brandonb

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Brandonb

Brandonb did pass the time by typing:

That's interesting to hear. I switched from Mich LTX M/S to the AT Revo and had some second thoughts. Since they they have settled down and stiffened up a bit but for a while I though it was a terrible mistake. P225 75R15.

Still no snow, but they have gotten grippier in the first 2000 miles.

Reply to
DougW