Pitted Windshield

It looks almost like someone sprinkled ultra fine sugar all over it. (driving in to the sun) Is there any way to restore it or is there a product out there that'll help? Anything to steer clear from? If anyone has input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

John '03 TJ Sport

Reply to
John R

I've asked glass people and the answere has always been if you polish it to remove the pits the view will become distorted.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I just had the windshield replaced in my 00TJ. When they become that pitted the insurance companies consider them a hazard. Cost me nothing same as breakage. JD 2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

Not all insurance companies are as enlightened. My insurer said "no" when I asked to replace a pitted windshield, their reasoning was that they cover damage, not wear and tear. On the other hand, new glass for my `79 CJ-5 project cost me about $125, installed. When you consider the possibilities, that's cheap.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Breakage ... now there's a solution that's probably been used before. As, geez, I just went in for a coupla beers and when I came out ...

Reply to
Bowgus

A guy at work bought one and had it installed by the local auto glass installer. Already had 3 rocks hit it square no breakage no chips no worries.

HarryS

HarryS did pass the time by typing:

If that's the same polycarbonate glass they use in glasses with the coating the windshield would also be bullet proof to some extent.

Reply to
DougW

According to the web site, it is just standard Lexan plastic with a good scratch resistant coating. Lexan is very good at absorbing point impacts like from a rock. But also according to the web site, it hazes up 60% more than regular glass.

DougW wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Isn't "bullet proof" kind of an all or nothing proposition? ;-) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

We could test it! Might be fun...

Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade

Thanks for the input folks. I don't think I'll go the insurance company route, I'll just wait until I can't stand it anymore and replace it.

I installed a rear window in an F150 once and it was pretty easy. Just got to get some nylon clothesline and have the WD-40 handy... I'm thinking it can't be very different.... and the glass is smaller! (just gotta get the damn Virginia stickers off in one piece- County and Inspection)

Thanks again.

John

Reply to
John R

Nathan Otis did pass the time by typing:

Mostly sometimes, but not always. :)

There are ratings for how bullet proof a piece of glass is. The more resistance you need the thicker it gets. All the way up to the glass they use for protecting "high value targets" at about 4".

In all cases BP glass is only good for slowing down the attacker. Land enough shots in one area and BP glass will fail.

Reply to
DougW