Please help settle difference of opinion

4.2L Engine in a 83 CJ7

I'm talking to a guy at work about the re-assembly of the rocker arms and he's telling me that there needs to be a gap between the valve head and the rocker arm. I'm not seeing it. The rocker arm has a little pivit in it that you bolt down on. I don't remember my FSM telling me I should gap the area between the valve head and the rocker arm. He said otherwise you'll burn a valve or it will be stuck.

Can anyone give some feedback on this? Are you suppose to gap the rocker arm on the 4.2L engine?

Is he thinking of another engine?

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

I dunno, my John Deere I-6 has gaps. :^)

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill,

I haven't done the 4.0L head change on my 4.2L engine yet. As far as I can remember from reading the FSM, I should not have to gap the rocker arm on my 4.2L head when I put it back on. I only need to make sure it's correctly placed and torque it down.

Does the 4.2L head have hydraulic lifters as well?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Neither head has any lifters at all!

Now the blocks.... yes both are hydraulic.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The point of the hydraulic lifter is to close that gap up. If there is a gap, then the lifter(s) will be noisy. I suppose on a static test, there coulcl be a small gap, but it would be measured in the 1/1000s of an inch. I think you would be looking at a number of about 0.0050 or less.

I have the factory shop manual for this motor, and I could look up the exact spec for you if you want.

Can I send you my phone number at the email address you listed, or can you send me your phone # to jstrickland at EZ2 dot net? I'll check my manual and call you back with the spec.

Reply to
CRWLR

I gapped hydraulic lifters once with my Dad. It was about 35 years ago, so it is a fuzzy memory at best. I think we warmed the motor to operating temp, then pulled the valve covers at idle and adjusted the valves so they were all quiet, then backed each one off until it made noise and adjusted it down until it was quite, then added a half-turn. It was kind of difficult because the stuff to adjust is moving, but other than working on moving parts, it was not really that difficult.

Reply to
CRWLR

I have the FSM at home and I remember reading it when I was first working on the rocker arm bridge when I changed my valve cover to an Aluminum one. I don't ever reading anything about having to gap when the rocker arm was replaced.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I am VERY fuzzy on this, but if there are adjusters on the rocker arms, then there is a need to adjust them at least once. I thought the goal was to adjust them until they made no noise, I don't recall a gap spec. If they are adjusted too tight, then the valves might not close fully, but if they are adjusted too loose, the valves will make noise. It is better to have some clatter than to have valves that do not close tightly, but even that rule of thumb can be abused.

Reply to
CRWLR

The only thing I can remember is that it needed to be torqued down. I'll check it when I get home.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
Steve G

It calls for 0 lash.

You just torque it. If any are loose, the lifters need changing.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I see the key word being slowly. Why did you say it like that? Not being careful can cause the bolts to be over torqued and break off or strip out?

Thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri