plugs, etc, 1999 JGC

Hi All. A friend's jeep isn't starting so well, so I suggested she change the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. However it seems that there is a coil on each plug. Does anyone know what the equivalent operation on the 4.7 is? The Haynes manual is less than complete for the WJ. Also, are there any special tools(besides a spark plug socket) for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Reply to
William Pughe

William Pughe did pass the time by typing:

Nothing you need to do, the parts that wear don't exist on that model. Only thing you could replace are the spark plugs.

Poor starting is more likely fuel related than spark. Need to check the fuel rail pressure, should be about 32psi with the engine at idle and remain there for about 1/2 hour after turning the ignition off.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

More like 50 psi.

Reply to
bllsht

Doh! failure to parse the year. They bumped it up a tad didn't they.

Reply to
DougW

LOL, I figured you weren't exactly paying attention there. It definitely wouldn't be happy with 32 psi. :-)

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Interesting. At the tank rather than the rail. Wonder why.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Most are IN the tank on Jeeps now. Have been since about '95. I believe it's to keep from heating the fuel and sending it back to the tank. Less vapor to try to contain.

Reply to
bllsht