Prep for painting

I'm in the process of prepping the jeep to get it painted. Is there any better ways of sanding the inside of the tub, getting into all the corners? this is a PITA! Is there a solution that can be used to strip or prep the surface besides sanding??

Reply to
<ABanks5

Sand Blasting.

Reply to
<Newsmanager

do not I repeat do not use paint stripper, sand blast if you have to, although this must be a show car for you to be going to so much trouble or unless you have the vehicle totally stripped, my jeep cost a fortune to get sand blasted but it was worth it Glenn

74 cj5 95 Cherokee
Reply to
Glenn Wainwright

Reply to
twaldron

The problem with stripper is that you have to remove it from cracks and crannies in the metal, of which the Jeep tub has plenty. Sawdust, mineral spirits, water, or the fool's method--gasoline are all ways to accomplish this, all with their unique advantages and disadvantages. You are right though that it does not pit the metal like sand blasting does.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Depending on the type of stripper used..err paint stripper used and the type of material its used on, you could end up with the stripper remaining behind where it can eat holes in any carpets, plastic or other material that comes into contact with it. It the part being stripped happens to be fiberglass and depending on the type of paint stripper you can end up with the paint stripper eating (burning) holes into the fiberglass. I used to work in a place that painted aircraft and the paint stripper we used would eat anything composite, stainless or made of steal. Only thing it was safe for was the aluminum skin and some plastics (like the barrels it was stored in), The stuff also could sit and dry for months, but as soon as it got wet again (even moisture would do this) it became active all over.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Might be expensive but try soda blasting (blasting which uses baking soda instead of sand or beads)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

get a sand blaster from harbor freight they're cheap and the 45lb model (pressurized) works well enough... I wouldn't want to strip all the paint off with one but for rust spots and corners it'll work fine.

or just get a finish sander (triangular shape). You really only need to scuff the paint to get the new paint to adhere.

Reply to
Simon Juncal