preparing for new driver - liberty?

my 14 year old is preparing to get her drivers permit (montana licenses drivers at 15) and her first choice is a wrangler. due to the short wheelbase and icy roads i dont think this would be a smart choice for her. her second choice is a liberty. i havent driven one since jeep lowered them

2" in '02/'03(?) and im not sure how forgiving they are. feedback appreciated.
Reply to
Nathan In Montana

I started my son off in my CJ7 about that age.... off road in the winter on ice. He learned fast how fast they swap ends in places where it was 'safe' to do so and has turned out to be a good driver, now at 23.

When I see the Liberty and Wrangler side by side, my impression is the Liberty is the top heavy one?

Mike

Mike Romain

I'd recommend finding a nice late model Cherokee.

I got my license at 14 in Arkansas, but I had an adult companion restriction until I turned 16.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hi Sandman, Been there done than. Get her a beater, the larger the better, some low mileage gas guzzler out of a widow's garage. The cheapest life insurance you may buy, for your daughter. Then when she graduates for from High School, and goes off to College to get her MRS, get her something sporty. My daughter in '89:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'd reccomend a late model Cherokee XJ with NP242 t-case so she's got AWD in the winter. XJ's are very forgiving, and tough as nails in a crash.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Hmm. Based on the taillights and the molding... Late '83 or early '84? Hard to tell without seeing the grille. Excellent cars.

I'm sure Nathan has heard this before in RAMFM, but 6 or 4 banger FOX Mustangs are some of the best cars for a new driver to learn in. As safe as any car without airbags can be (maybe a plus or a negative, depending on the size of the driver), reliable, very cheap these days, and exceptionally forgiving.

What may be more important for a teenage girl, they still look good enough that they won't be embarrassed to be seen in one. :)

Jeff and Mike are right: Far more important than "which vehicle" is how well they're taught. :)

That, plus practice, practice, and more practice. Almost every minute I was in the same vehicle as my parents after getting my learner's permit, I was the one behind the wheel. I probably had more miles than both of them combined during the 6 months before I got my license. The constant practice more than anything has helped me to maintain my good driving habits.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

My parents taught me, sat on my dad's lap at six, then my mother at age

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good day,

Nothing wrong with a Liberty... If your daughter learns who to "drive", then there is nothing wrong with a jeep Liberty. It holds 4 passengers and is more than capable in stock form(Although skid plates are recommended for more abrasive use) to tackle some off road stuff. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with it as a daily driver. Unless your personal opinion, vehicle preference gets in the way.

And as far as getting your girl a "gas guzzler" which probably handles worse than a Jeep Liberty... The liberty most definitely handles better, Take my word for it... I rally race a car and use my Liberty as a chase vehicle and it is more than capable of going slidedays on command. (Without flipping over or rolling... But then again, I know how to drive!)

Reply to
Socks

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

We are talking about a "Daily driver" here. There still is nothing wrong with a Jeep Liberty for that purpose.

And suppose that you Mr. Hughes The Third, were driving "that" '69 Lincoln (with suicide doors of course), and were unfortunately involved in that " head on" accident with a Jeep Liberty? Chances are (I've done extensive research on the Internet and in independent sources over the past 25 years regarding automotive collisions that cause bodily harm) that indicates that the occupants of the " 1969 Ford/Mercury Lincoln would be critically injured or a fatality due to the fact that the grossly inadequate lap belts were even used ! Back then an automobile was built for aesthetics, not safety. Today's vehicles are designed with safety first. And that's a fact! That's why airbags were implemented, for all you folks below the 49th parallel who do not "think" a seatbelt is necessary and "I won't get into an accident because I'm a better driver than the rest"

So, now, at the end of the day... What is wrong with a Jeep Liberty for a young lady who just aced her drivers licence exam and is more than likely going to use it as a daily driver?

Cheers

Ryan

Reply to
Socks

Have you raised a daughter? I just wanted mine to live, so she got a three ton learner. After a couple of years without killing anyone, she could have bought a murdercycle, if she wished. What a stupid research done by bleeding heart liberal whacko limps, trying to sell on dinky little cars, which when run into a concrete barrier do, OK with their built in sacrificial crush zones, but when hit head on by an REAL American car find themselves going backwards and the same speed as the car they unfortunately hit. A basic law of kinetic, inertia energy in physics. You greenies may kill your offspring, for Bore's causes, but not my family! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

"Socks" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good day,

As a matter of fact, I am raising two daughters! I too want the best for them by every means. I therefore will give them a vehicle that is designed in this millennium, using tomorrows technology today. If ancient American cars are so safe, why is it that no U.S. automobile manufacturer doesn't build 'em like they used too? Is it done to just piss people like you off? No, it is done because new cars are safer, more efficient, and just plain old far superior than yesteryears vehicles.

We can discuss this until we are blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is that new automotive technology is superior. Look at diesel powered cars. Most North American's still think that they can't/don't have any performance... Then you have Audi and their R10 in the 24 heures du Mans.(The 24 Hours of Le Mans) A diesel ! And Audi kicked every bodies ass. That was today's (German) technology. Not antiquated has been three tonne BS.

Have a nice weekend.

Ryan Heibloem Richmond, British Columbia, Canada.

Reply to
Socks

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Nice push bar Bill!

Cheers

Ryan

Reply to
Socks

Brush bar was a part of the '78 Bronco package, bought new by me:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

My father has a 1975 E350 with a 460 in her. Awesome truck. Two of my friends and I took it on a

16850 mile journey in 1987, 7 week through western Canada and then down into the States. , saw the Gulf of Mexico; Corpus Christy, Galveston, New Orleans. Beautiful trip. Wish it was a 4X4!

Cheers

Ry'

Reply to
Socks

I lived in Texas City for a year in the mid eighties, that's near Galveston, sounds like you tried to drive on the beaches there. Great people, huge bugs, dirty water, and air-conditioning was a must. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good morning,

The U.S. is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and the people I believe are the most hospitable I have ever met! Now, those bus you are talking about... Driving into a K.O.A. at night(I'm not quite sure as to where anymore though) and hearing all these popping sounds and then a whole shit storm of the largest strangest insects flying towards the head and driving lights! I'll never forget my one friend nearly shit himself as one of those hugh beetles landed on his head! And at the same time a rather juicy and plump tarantula ran across his foot! I never laughed so hard in my life! I bent over and picked up the spider and pushed it towards his face, he just freaked and hid in the van for the rest of the night! Wuss. One of the local folks there at the camp ground referred to the big beetles as "June bugs" Pretty cool though! As far as A/C? No such luxury for us, Plenty of beer on the other hand. My wife and I are planning on creating a similar journey with our my two daughters(Cooper 13 & Alex 12) from my first marriage in our Liberty. One of those new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 doors would be nice for a 6 week adventure. We want to only use secondary roads as much as possible. Stay off Interstates. Too busy and too fast. You don't really get to see anything or meet anybody along the way.

Cheers

Ry'

Reply to
Socks

I say, if the girl wants a Wrangler, get her one. Then you can have a ton of amazing "Father - Daughter moments" while teaching her how to drive it. You can take her trail riding and teach her all she needs to know for when the bad weather gets here. C'mon Nate.... don't be such a stick in the mud :)

If she's a responsible young lady, you should have no problems with her and the rig. As far as the Liberty, I'd say no, a Cherokee would be a better choice. After having driven both, I would choose the Cherokee myself over the Libby for umpteen different reasons.

Now.. a Fox Mustang... Nawwwww... the girl wants a Jeep... LIKE HER DAD....

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon