Problem Solved Info

$320 for the CAM and CPS replacement at Jeep dealer .. my WJ showed the CPS faulty but the shop computer showed the CAM was faulty as well ... both were defective, not corroded or loose wires and such, said they checked that first... Jeep told me yes the CPS goes out and many individuals say "Replace the CPS" only and then return with the same problems and have to get the CAM replaced too .. problem solved with the addition of $140 to replace a putrid fuel filter with 140000 miles on it ... I hope this helps some of you out there ... in turn I am grateful to many whom responded to my inquires, thanks to you, each and every one ...

Now one more dumb question, what does the CAM sensor do ...

its finally raining here in Texas and my jeep is back, it is a great day !!

Reply to
Mindy

I'm amazed that at 140,000 it was even passing fuel.

The only dumb question is the one not asked. :)

There are two sensors, one on the flywheel called the Crankshaft Position Sensor, and one on the distributor called the Camshaft Position Sensor. So to make things easy to understand they call them both CPS..... yea...

The camshaft sensor tells the computer which stroke the #1 piston is on so it knows which cylinder to fire or inject fuel.

The crankshaft sensor only sends a signal telling the computer that number one piston is at TDC (Top Dead Center) but it cant tell it which stroke. To do that it needs the camshaft sensor.

Once the engine is running, the computer can start guessing, but as you found out, at low speed, it guesses badly then gives up and runs home to mommy.

It's raining in Oklahoma too.

Glad to hear your problems are fixed.

Reply to
DougW