Solved my break problem

Some many months ago..like this time last year! I had rebuilt my chopped 66 bug. I had an odd brake problem once I tried to drive it. It seemed as if my brakes became more and more locked up as I drove the car. Some here suggested that I needed to replace my rubber brake lines. That since I could not recall if I had replaced them too in my rebuild they may be old and swelling on the inside.

Last week I was at the shop where I purchased the master cylinder when I did my rebuild.. Since my car had been garraged for almost a year waiting for me to fix it, I asked him what the chances were that the master cylinder I bought from him might be faulty and causing the problem.

He said possible but not likely, and asked had I adjusted the brake pedal push rod. When I had done the brake work I read this part in my manual. It said to leave it alone so I did. Well I crawled into the floor last weekend with tools and work light and removed the push rod. When I checked it against the specs in the manual I found that it was adjusted out close to

3/8 inch too far! I made the adjustment and whadya know!!?? I got brakes again!!

Hope my follie might help someone.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all of you!

Mike West/Houston Texas

Reply to
Mike West

I do remember you posting your brake problem. I sure do appreciate when people give a follow up to their problems. I'm glad that you found your answer. Thanks for posting. - Robert

Reply to
Robert

There is a good write up about the problems caused by mis-adjusted brake push rods here. I thought it might help anyone else who might be experiencing this problem:

AshMan