Problems shifting gears in 92 Jeep wrangler

Hi there,

I have problems shifting gears. It starts out fine, but after a while it gets harder to shift gears, eventually I get stuck in one gear and cannot get out of it. If this happens while I am stationary not even the breaks can keep the jeep from moving forward. The drive train is making a little more noise a high speeds as well. Do I need to change the oil in the tranny, or is this something wrong with the clutch????

Any help with this will be greately appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
bgambart

Are you driving it in 4x4 on tarmac ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Good point but I think I would also start by changing tranny fluid as many neglect this.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Another easy thing to check is the bell house to engine bolts, freind has had his come loose twice on his YJ.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
RoyJ

A torque wrench prevents bolts from coming out now? I always thought it was for tightening bolts to a certain degree. Silly me, I've been using thread lock all these years with the torque wrench and all I needed was the wrench.

Reply to
Raptor

Man, my torque wrench sure won't fit back there. Maybe for the bottom ones.... I have also seen and heard of the bell housing coming loose.

To the OP, I would change the tranny fluid first, it could be full of water or low or event he wrong kind.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Lets see, there is a tool called a TORQUE WRENCH?
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ