Q: soft top. ON or OFF in summer ? what do you do ?

Reply to
twaldron

First... you'll get faster at putting the top up & down with time and as the top stretches and loosens up a bit. It used to take me 20 minutes or so, but I can get it all up and windows zipped in under 10 minutes now if I'm in a rush.

You'll screw up something in the dash if it gets wet over & over again. Mine's been wet a few times (it happens), but the only thing that's messed up to date is my radio wouldn't change stations for a few days. After it dried, it's fine now. I never understood why they didn't try to make them more water resistant than they are.

I pulled the carpet out of mine and eventually had the interior Rhinolined. I still put the drain plugs in, but just pop them out & let the water drain if it does get wet.

I leave my top down most of the warm months (here in Arkansas, that's late Feb through November. When we're going to have long bouts of rain, I'll put it back up, but for short periods (a day or so), I just run with my bikini top and windjammer (keeps the rain off the inside of the windshield when you're driving on the freeway). I also carry around a "cab cover" that I believe is made by Bestop. It only fits on the Jeep if the top's off, but it covers the cab tightly and doesn't let the water in. Goes on very quick and stores nicely behind the rear seat or in the floorboard right behind the passenger seat.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

I don't know about you, but I was damn glad I had the top on last night on my way home from Conway. Was down to 35mph with the wipers on high for about 1/2 the trip.

Glad you said this...it'll save me some money. I was gonna get one of these cab covers, but I don't take the soft top all the way off, so I guess they wouldn't fit.

We really got to get together and find some Jeep trails on of these days.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

OK. Have we met?

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
twaldron

We were going to but it never worked out. I need a good body shop in this area... know of one? (rust holes, don't want some hack filling it with bondo)

Reply to
Jo

mud = dirt + water

Reply to
Jo

I have a cab cover as well. I don't use it very much (kinda bulky and hard to fold when not in use), but the one I have (sorry, don't know the brand; I got it on special at Quadratec) goes on over a FOLDED-DOWN soft top. You don't need to completely remove the soft top from the jeep. You just can't put it on with the top up (why you would want to to do that is beyond me anyway).

Reply to
Bob

Heh, truthfully I grab a bunch of garbage bags and duct tape and awaaaaaay I go! If it's sitting in my driveway, sometimes I tarp it up overnight if there's going to be dew/frost (yes, frost brrrrr) but I'm more often grabbing a towel from the house to wipe down the inside windshield, steering wheel and instruments before I drive off in the morning.

I'm thinking you and I are at completely different levels of upkeep though. ;)

coop

Reply to
cooper

Hard top? Mine's been sitting in my backyard for 3 years now. I'm sure it's got quite the ecosystem living under it by now. I'm in Ontario, Canada, and I go all winter with just the softie.

Of course, I'll most likely be replacing it in 2 or 3 years, but still.

coop

Reply to
cooper

I live in Annapolis Md USA and I don't use doors or a top year round. Just a bikini top when it rains or snows. I cover it with a tarp at night. cheap green tarp.

Reply to
iBob

putting the top up should only take 5 minutes!

Reply to
IsellJeeps!

Hi Jo,

How is that easier than putt> get one of these:

I got mine last year> and it is NICE. A bunch of people here have one as well and they like it.> The seams are solid and straps are strong and connect well.

Reply to
twaldron

I don't recall saying that it is easier than putting on a soft top... but it is in my case. My softtop requires that I zipper in the sides and back window, add doors, etc. Takes way longer than just throwing this top up. Also, my softtop is showing its age and is starting to tear at the seams. The less I put it up/down, the longer it will last.

Reply to
Jo

Reply to
twaldron

it's very easy to put up compared to my soft top. Newer soft tops may be a lot easier to put up than mine though...

Reply to
Jo

awesome idea Bill.. I have a big car cover that I am not using. thanks !!!

dave

Reply to
daveZ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

that's what i was hoping too Bill.. I dont care if I get poured on.. but if I have to worry about my dash frying then my worries are only as great as the Jeep is tough/resistent to rain which sounds like it isn't..

dave

Reply to
daveZ