Different question about shifting from 2WD to 4WD

I have a 99 Wrangler Sport.

I think I'm having a differential issue... I shift it into 4WD, it engages.. the light comes on.. and all seems to be fine.

When I switch back, the light goes off, I do the little tap of the gas... Nothing. I try backing up, lunging forward, nothing... No 'click'.

I ran it like this for weeks last winter not realizing it until my wife pointed out she could watch the gas gauge going down. All of a sudden the lost power and engine running higher RPMs started to make sense.

Anyway... I spent like 20 mins shifting in and out of 4WD and eventually it did disengage..

Anyone have any advice on what I should be checking? I'm afraid to use my 4WD...

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

I would guess that your linkage is slightly out of adjustment. There is a rod with a lock nut/bolt on it that sets it on the older ones.

I am not sure if they changed it on the TJ, but for the older ones, you are supposed to put it in 4 low and use a 1/8" shim or drill bit between the shifter and it's end gate to have it adjusted right.

I would guess yours is more like 1/4" gap or something like that...

Mike

Mike Romain

It may be shifting out of 4wd anyway. It doesn't always make an audible "click." when it shifts out, although it may delay shifting out for a few seconds depending on the torque load in the T case. Tapping the thottle will increase the torque load and do the opposite of what you want. If you have an automatic, try shifting the tranny into neutral when shifting the tcase; manual, let up on the gas or disengage the clutch.

All this is valid assuming what you are describing isn't actually being stuck in 4 Lo.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt,

Good info. I'll give that a shot when I finally do give 4WD a try. Thanks.

The poor gas mileage and performance loss indicates strongly it is not coming out of 4WD.

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

I think there might be some other issues re: your mileage and performance losses. Running in 4wd will give you somewhat less mileage & perfromance but not a substantial loss...TJ's don't have front hub locks, so the front axle and driveshaft are always spinning, even in 2wd. If you were in 4wd, you'd feel the "bucking bronco" effect on sharp turns since the front and rear axles are locked together.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If it's actually in 4wd, there won't be ANY doubt. Just get in a parking lot and turn the wheel to full lock. If you're in 4wd, it'll kick and buck. If it doesn't, you're not.

Also, when you shift out of 4wd, do it this way...

Gas > Matt,

Reply to
Clap Trap