Question - Rubi's on its way

My local dealer's getting my Rubicon from another dealer 300 mi. away and assures me that the driver won't exceed 55 mph as stated in the break-in section of the owners manual.

Since it's Interstate all the way, with a 70 MPH speed limit, I have my doubts that the driver will actually keep it below 55.

Does the engine management computer store max. speed? If so, I can ask the dealer to prove it.

Or am I being too neurotic about the whole thing as it will be under warranty anyway?

Reply to
Davenport

Make them put it on a flat bed. Frank Sawin

Reply to
Frank Sawin

Jeez, new cars here usually get transported on the back of something.. If I was in your position, I'd be tempted to collect the damn thing myself. The point about the warranty is not really relevent - it just causes premature engine wear and you aren't going to claim that on warranty.

Dave Milne, Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Get it in writing. But my money says they won't do that.

Reply to
Jeepers

Well, I have seen and know lots of car lot guys and there is no freaking way they are going to putt along at 55 in anything!

I would go get it myself....

Mike

Davenport wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Go pick it up yourself.

Reply to
<Skip>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The warranty should start at the mileage on the odo at time of delivery, so your warranty should be in effect to 36,300+. They really should transport it

300 miles, not drive it.
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I almost bought the wife a Liberty that the dealer sent a driver to pick up. I asked if was going to be driven or flat-bedded (yes, I make up my own words). They said driven, unless I wanted to pay for a flat bed, or they would drive me down and I could drive it back. My concern was taking a stone in the wind shield, which they assured me would not be a problem. Well, it came in and had a big buckeye stone chip out of the top of the wind shield. They told me they'd put a new wind shield in for me (duh), but I told them "No deal," got my deposit back, and walked out.

Moral of the story: Car dealers have their reputation for a reason. Caveat emptor.

Later, Travis

Reply to
Wingman

Well i am 69 years old and have broken in all of my vehicles at 65 AND NEVER (1999 Tahoe, 2000 XJ Cherokee, 1966 ford f-250, chevrolet van 3/4 ton, 1994 pontiac grand am, and some i have forgotten) and never had anything but good , long lasting, drivers. you will even find that in the old racing days, they broke them in with thin oil and high rpm. just change the oil at 500 miles and enjoy the vehicle.

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The mythology was that if you broke it in slow, the engine would never run to high rpm and low friction for its entire lifetime.

Allegedly cruis> Well i am 69 years old and have broken in all of my vehicles at 65 AND NEVER

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

i find a lot of speculation and wild guessing concerning engine break in proceedures. you cant expect the tolerances used in building the inline 6 in grandpa's '54 panel van to be the same as a c6 corvette......nor can you expect the break in proceedure to be the same. i think ultimately the best way to break in a new engine is per manufacturers recommendations.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

NO WAY will the driver keep the speed at or below 55 mph!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to