Questions on Jeep Trailers (like the old Mil. 1/4 ton)

Greetings,

I'm just asking a general question or two on Jeep trailers like the old 1/4 ton. I've seen photos of the older surplus ones & they look like something that I might consider useful for my needs. I want to ask:

  1. How practical/safe are these trailers in modern TJ's, etc. and traveling at today's highway speeds? Is it stable at 80MPH ?

  1. Are there modern day makes that might be same general size?

  2. Sources for #2 ? Price ranges?

TIA,

Andrew '97 TJ Sahara (Now in it's 12th year)

Greg

Small utility trailers problems usually focus on:

-Tires too small for the load or weather checked, old, rotten

-Wheel bearings not maintained

-Overloaded

-Badly loaded (usually with not enough weight up forward.)

the 1/4 ton military units are plenty hefty but the high CG makes proper loading a key concern. Anything used should have a bearing inspection and repack. Tires need a good going over, huge weather checks are common.

Your TJ is only rated for 2000 pounds (may be only 1000 depending on the model) and this should be considered a hard limit. The brakes are good, the engine is good, the handling is BAD!!! And if you are talking about

80 mph al> Greetings,
Reply to
RoyJ

Funny! Thanks. No, weight of a few hundred tops probably. TJ's just don't pack much.

Andrew

Thx for taking your time to reply but what I'm really looking for is the shorter Jeep equivalent of an open pick-up bed. Since Jeep doesn't make pick-ups - I am considering how to NOT buy a Frontier or Tacoma next year when I love TJ's but need more hauling capacity of assorted tools, equipment, loose items.

Well, you know - what you'd toss in the back of a pick-up. I looking around to see what Jeep aftermarket items might do the job. I love my Jeep and I'd dearly love to part with my cash next year for a **Jeep** pick-up but it may not be. Alas!

This is kinda like it:

But at 9,000 (nine!) grand you can forget it. Better would be to keep a rear bench seat and add a bed.

This is my Dream-Vehicle,....(sigh,drool)

Andrew

RoyJ

The M100/M416 style 1/4 ton trailers tow just fine behind modern jeeps. There are used ones in good shape showing up in the $800-$1000 range or you can buy repro frames & boxes to outfit with your own running gear.

I bought a M101CDN last spring for $750,

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

SERIOUS rumours afoot from high up that Jeep will indeed be making a pickup-style vehicle, small to medium bed. I've seen sketches and partial rough schematics.

You might want to google around a bit, there /is/ material out there.

Whether it makes it to market is an open question, but it is being seriously considered.

Reply to
Pink of Freud

Concept pix I've seen are of a VERY tiny vehicle with no back benchseat and the spare tire stowed in the "bed" of the pick-up. I honestly don't think you could get 4 grocery bags in it - Though it will be a Jeep! - Albeit a tiny one.

Andrew

Not a jeeper, so just passing what little I know.

Check my above post, FWIW.

PF aka 'c'

Reply to
Pink of Freud

Not a jeeper, so just passing along what I know.

Check my post above, FWIW

PF aka 'c'

Reply to
Pink of Freud

In Europe I would often see a passenger car the size of a VW Golf towing a rather large load of building materials on a flatbed trailer. This was a common occurence, but it didn't look like the best thing to do. Still, if you need to haul stuff around and cannot afford a pickup check out a trailer lot in a medium sized city. The one in Grand Junction has a four by six flatbed for under a grand and a four by six enclosed box with 1500 lb. payload for about two. That is a manageable sized trailer for a TJ, but heed all the warnings about handling. Another foot or so of wheelbase would help a lot here.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

I was under the impression that 'no' trailer was legal to tow over 55 mph, but that could be outdated.

I am also under the impression that no trailer is even made that will be stable at 80 mph, hell, even your TJ isn't very stable at 80 mph, if you have to avoid something at that speed, you die.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

That would fall under state or provincial jurisdiction. U-Haul trailers have a mirror image message on the rear fender, saying not to tow over 45 mph. Many people ignore this. ;^)

I am thinking that 55 mph is a good rule of thumb maximum speed to tow anything with a TJ. The vehicle is just too short for anything faster. I have seen a Wrangler towing a big, and I mean big, boat at much faster than that, but I wouldn't do it. I didn't see Jeep or boat parts all over the highway on the way home, but you never know about next time.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

I can see I was a little ignorant in my expectations. Thanks for the correction. As for how fast I drive my TJ - Well, let's just say I keep it around 80 because it's 11 years old. Used to hum at 90+ quite nicely but I don't want to strain it now that it's a "senior citizen."

Andrew

Airstream. Actually set a land speed record being towed by a 427 chev back in the late sixties.

Reply to
Lon

If you're looking to replace a pickup for occasional use, well a trailer like some of the construction guys use is a good idea. 80 mph in a Wrangler is going to make it suck gas, even more than normal. I keep mine about

55-65 because of the aerodynamic drag and because of the mountainous area I live in. If you're going 70+ mph one minute, you're probably going to be airborne the next.

I am thinking the same thing you are, and a 4x6 footer with 1500# axle is probably just what I need. I haven't decided covered versus open yet. If you have the six cylinder engine, maybe you could use a 5x8 with 3000# axle, but like people are saying you are not really recommended to tow over 2000#, and it depends on your individual needs. If you don't need the trailer all that often and there is a U-Haul close, then that might be a good option too. You might start with the trailer hitch and the wiring harness. Maybe rent the U-Haul the first time you need to use it. People have said that they won't rent a trailer to anyone with a soft top though. Liability issues, you know.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton