Radiator problem

...that being said, you might also be able to seal the seam using epoxy or jb weld or something of that sort...

Reply to
TJim

Ignore it at your own risk!

Leaks have a real nasty tendency to get bigger.

They also let air in. When the engine is hot, the fluid expands out into the overflow jug. When the engine cools down, it sucks this fluid back in. A leak will stop this from happening as the OP had noted, it is easier to suck air back in.

Having a layer of air at the top of the system can easily allow the top of the head to overheat which will fast bake out the valve guide seals and turn your engine into a morning smoker that burns oil.

Mike

TJim wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You never rerplace lost antifreeze? It sounds like you always replace lost antifreeze. You need a radiator.

This is not a particularly Jeep Thing, but the way that radiators are made these days, it sounds reasonable that you need a new one. Yes, all you need to do is replace the radiator. You should also replace the hoses at the same time.

Reply to
CRWLR

Go online to

and check out what they have. You might want to consider an upgrade at this time to a 3 core radiator instead of the stock 2 core. Another consideration might be to get a metal radiator instead of one with plastic tanks.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If the core is in good shape, then you can have a competent radiator shop replace the seal and recrimp the tabs. My friend charges about $25 for this in his shop if you bring the radiator in. Prices may vary depending on your location. If you try to recrimp the tabs yourself, without the proper tool, you'll end up with a leak much worse than you have now.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have advised the poster to ignore it. Your point is well made and well taken.

Jim

Reply to
TJim

Thought I just did. ;-)

Chris

so........if there is a hole at the top of the radiator, such that loss (lose, loose, etc) of a cup of fluid would bring the level below said hole & therefore would leak no more................I think that I agree with a previous post about the loss (lose, loose, etc) of pressure. IMHO this might be important enough to not be ignored.

Reply to
Carlo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)