Re: rear differential shot, advice - 97 TJ - thanks

Hello there ...

> > I am guessing somebody out there knows way more than I do about Jeeps, > and would appreciate any advice/suggestions: > > Have a 1997 TJ with about 42,000 miles on it. Had fluid leak around > rear differential, and some clanking/vibration problems. Took it to > the dealer, and they said they opened rear dif cover and found metal > chunks,shavings. Differential ring/pinion is shot, they said. Parts, > according to them, are $2,300 to replace all and probably $400 in > labor. If needs new axles, that will be another $800 or so. With tax, > it could hit $4,000, which seems somewhat absurd. > > I have little doubt that there is huge mark-up at the dealership. The > Jeep is no longer under warranty so there is no reason not to take it > somewhere else. What kind of *fair* price should I anticipate for this > work? I have changed out stuff on the jeep (springs, etc.), but am not > this handy, so doing it myself is not really an option. > > I am also at a loss as to the failure, as I stay up on the > maintenance, etc., and don't put as much stress on the vehicle as it > surely can stand. > > Should I take this opportunity to upgrade the differential? I have a > 2" or so Teraflex lift on it, and 31.5 tires right now. I do not do as > much off-roading as I would like. > > Thank you much, > > dave
Reply to
mikltaz

You can also buy used parts. Alot of people upgrade there gears and have the old one laying around in perfect condition. If you go to a garage make sure they have done it before. For example if they do not replace the $5.00 seal on the axle when they pull them and it leaks you will have to spend another couple of hundred dollars removing everything and replacings the seals. Ask on the news group for a name of a garage near you town. You can also buy a superior 35 if you want a full upgrade.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

$4,000 is a ludicrous estimate to rebuild what I assume is a Dana 35. For that kind of money, Hell you could buy a Dana Rock 60! I'd look for a salvage yard Dana 44 before I'd pop this kind of cash, particularly for a POS D35.

Unfortunately the problem you have is all too common with these axles, it is unquestionably THE WORST axle ever put under a Jeep. I can't say enough BAD stuff about Dana 35s, and I speak from experience. I've had 2 vehicles with them and both cratered despites good maintenance and non-abusive driving. They're marginal even with stock tires, but put a set of big tires on it and it's simply a matter of time before the thing starts to self destruct.

Despite everyone saying the axles shafts & c-clips are problems with them, the most common failure on D35s seems to be the pinion seal. The pinion bearings are too small and overheat, this takes out the seal so out comes the lube and there go the bearings and eventually the R&P, etc.

Unless you drove this for a long time in a failed state, it's highly unlikely the R&P or the axles have failed. The noise would have been significant. Regardless, I wouldn't put a cent into that axle, get something good. And, for Heavens Sake DO NOT put a locker in A Dana 35!!!! Also, don't be fooled into putting one of those "Super 35" kits (locker & larger axle shafts) into it either, it will fail again in 10k miles.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I am checking around today ... thank you ... dave

Reply to
dave

They better kiss you and give roses when they are done. At that price, you are getting screwed, and you deserve some affection to go along with the sex.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland