Looking for 63 Lark bellhousing, and some rear axle advice

I've got a 63 Daytona Lark 259 V8 auto that I will be converting to a T10 4-speed when I restore it. I've got a later model wide-ratio T10, and I have most of the clutch linkage stuff from a 63 3-speed column shift, but I'll need to locate a bellhousing.

This T10 takes the same bellhousing as any 3-speed V8 Lark from 59-64 as far as I can tell. The bolt pattern is approx. 5-1/4" across the uppermost holes, 6-5/16" across the lower holes, and 7-1/4" from top hole to bottom hole.

First question: Anyone know where I can get a good used bellhousing (hopefully near Chardon, Ohio)?

Second question: I've got a low mileage model 27 3.73 rear axle, and a high mileage model 27 3.07 rear axle. I've never driven anything but a six so I don't know about the driveability issues of either for mostly off-freeway, somewhat hilly driving. Which would you recommend? Or should I pitch both and get a 3.31 model 44? I wouldn't push it much in first gear, however, maybe I would in 2nd-4th gears. Restoration is at least a year away, so I'm in no hurry.

Reply to
saabyurk

I would highly recommend the model 44, and make sure you get the little pinion snubber that bolts to the floorpan (or else plan on adding traction bars.) You'll also need a driveshaft from a 4-speed Lark. You will want to get on it and bang a few shifts when you get the

4-speed in and sorted, if you have any kind of soul and appreciation for things mechanical. I also highly recommend a Hurst shifter, and it just so happens that I have the exact shifter you need, complete with lever, if JP doesn't want it. It's also available from Jeg's and probably some Stude vendors as well (Fairborn would be my first stop.) Even if you have a stock shifter in good condition (and I have one of those I'd sell you as well) the buzzing and rattling will drive you apes**t.

It's a good thing your trans is a wide ratio. If you're planning on a

3.31 rear, that will be easier to launch; my '62 had the close ratio with a 3.31 stock and it needed a little clutch slip. Not objectionable, but definitely different than a modern car.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Guess I'll have to start shopping for a Dana 44 also ... oh well. I might be intersted in the Hurst shifter if it stays available. Let me know. I was planning on a Hurst, but I also have a NOS shift lever, and I was thinking of cutting the Hurst lever and welding on the NOS to have an original look without the buzz. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
saabyurk