Re: Shifter help....

MFM JOS ( snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.nocc.net) wrote on Wednesday 10 September 2003

07:37 pm:

> Ok, So I broke my shifter assembly. Just for the record someone left out > the back bolt for who knows how long, and eventually It broke. Now, a > very kind person whom I found online was willing to dig his old one out > and send > it to me. However, that one had been cut off and rewelded to fit some > type > of after market shift knob. So I figure I can just take the shaft off of > mine and put it on the good assembly. HOW do I get this thing off? I > understand that there is a rubber "grommet" and a spring steel "catch". > The > one I have simply will not budge. I've considered cutting it off (which > should prove to be a feat in and of itself) then drilling it out (another > feat). I've beat on it with a hammer and other heavy objects. Now what? > > MFM

MFM,

Mine was quite a pain in the butt too when I had to replace my shift plate. First I broke off the little metal clips that supposedly hold it in place. Of course, that didn't loosen it a bit (but you'll need to do that so they don't catch). I then put the square recepticle on the shift plate (the part that the shift lever goes into) into a solidly mounted vise on a steel workbench. I connected the threaded end of the shift lever to a sliding hammer (make sure you set it up not to stress the threads too badly). After a mere hour or so of pounding, the thing finally popped free. Made me glad I do this for a hobby, not a living :).

Be very careful where you put the shift plate in the vise. I was removing my shift lever from a cracked shift plate, so it didn't matter to me if I destroyed the shift plate or not. And if you don't have a sliding hammer, they're about $60 or so for one made in Taiwan.

You'll have to buy a new grommet and steel catch. They're pretty cheap. I got mine "free" with purchase of a remanufactured T5 :).

Reply to
Michael White