Re: Track Bar Help..again

I believe so, Snow...

Are you working with the original track bar? > > Ok got a couple quick questions about my track bar. > > > > Started the removal process today (was planning on changing the track > > bar, rear sway bar, t-stat and mechanical fan) I managed to get the > > bolt to removw from the eye end with lots of curesing and a bit of > > heat from the good old propane torch (ok also had some flames too, > > caused by all the release-all I srayed onto it over the past week), > > When it came time to pull the cotter pin and remove the ball joint end > > I had major problems... after finally picking out the bits of cotter > > pin, and soaking the joint with more realease-all, I tried removing > > the nut... to my surprise the whole d*mn joint is turning. So I go > > over and look at the joint end on the new track bar, nope DOESN'T > > rotate freely. Go back over and try removing the nut again, and same > > thing the whole joint is rotating in the track bar...Right now I am > > planning on taking to a local garage next week (after I buy a new > > heater diverter? valve, old one broke up while changing the t-stat...a > > story for a different day) > > > > How the h*ll am I going to remove this nut?? Ideas and suggestions > > wanted. > > > > Thanks > > Snow 93 XJ,. > >
Reply to
Snow

I sometimes use a Dremil tool with a fiberglass reinforced cut off blade or a small grinder and cut the nut.

I am in bad need for a new one too and was checking mine out, mine looks the same, I see it spinning easily.

I am thinking I am going to have to cut off the rubber boot on mine and try to cut it off on the bottom of the frame, then just punch the left over bolt and nut up and out.

If I have room, and it looks like it maybe I might try my sawsall with a good metal blade.

I also have a thin 6" cut wheel for my drill, one of those Canadian Tire 'miracle type' blades. It works pretty fast on them if I have room. I had to cut the nuts on two ball joints and only used about 1" off the wheel.

I have had success on a couple by cutting the boot away and using a large set of needle nosed vise grips and jamming them in the top of the ball between it and the frame to hold it solid. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Have had to cut way too many....

The vise grips worked on the last one a couple weeks ago for a friend of mine when he did his here. I always try them first...

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

How did you get the nut off?

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Manuel D. Sapien

I had a really long breaker bar and an even longer and even bigger pipe slid over the end of it. Even then I had to put my weight into it to get it to move...

Reply to
Eric