Rebuilding a motor

While reading another post regarding installing a rebuilt motor I got to thinking, what does rebuilding a motor involve? Replacing pistons/rings? Seals?

How big and how difficult a job is it (outside of pulling the engine).

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Bill,

It's not too bad rebuilding an engine. You'll find a lot of the time all you have to do is re-ring the pistons, replace bearings, and replace gaskets. If the heads need work then you need to send them to a machine shop. If the engine shows signs of a lot of wear and it's not within tollerances then you may need to have machine work done to the engine as well...ie...turn the crank, install oversized pistons and have cylinders bored out a bit. Don't purchase the rebuild kit until you take the engine apart and inspect.

I'm about to tackle mine and have been researching it as well. Should not be too bad of a job.

Good luck.

Casey Teague

Reply to
Casey Teague

On 23 Nov 2003 09:31 AM, Roy J posted the following:

Only replace the lifters if you are also replacing the camshaft. Also, bag and tag all the parts (or keep track of them somehow) to make sure that everything that is reused gets put back where it was. Don't throw anything away until the rebuilt engine is running in your Jeep once more.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Assuming that the engine is reasonable milage (100k on a 258 engine, not 175k!), this is what I would expect for the shade tree mechanic:

-pull the engine, set it over a $10 plastic tub from the builders store, strip parts, then clean the block with engine cleaner

-Check to see if the cylinders are egg shaped by over .002" (if so, time for a REAL rebuild!)

-Reuse the pistons

-New rings

-Hone the bore ($25 tool or rent it)

-Ridge ream the top (rent the tool)

-Inspect the crank for scoreing, if so get a regrind

-Plastigage ALL main and rod bearings, get stock to .002" oversized as required to get your bearing clearance at .002"

-New timing chain

-New oil pump

-Take the head to a valve shop and have them do a valve job, new seals, shim the springs, and new valves as required. Figure a couple hundred bucks.

-new gaskets

-new lifers are a good investment

-new water pump is a good investment

-new clutch,pilot bearing, and trowout bearing is a good investment

I figure about $500 or so plus the clutch if I do that

Cheers.

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Roy J