Question about replacing rings

I have been reading my FSM regarding replacing rings and in it it says that the gap on each ring should be 180 degrees off from the next so you don't have a line of gaps down one side of the piston. That being said I have a couple of questions.

  1. Can't the rings rotate by themselves out of that 180 offset to achive a gap line down one side of the piston?

  1. I was reading about carbon buildup on the rings. How does this affect ring performance.

  2. When replacing rings only is this a job that's worth the time. In other words, can a guy get away with just replacing the rings without doing an overhaul and be ok if the engine is in otherwise good condition? Has anyone else done this and can add comment?

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

The rings will move a bit, but it's unlikely that they will move enough to align the gap. The rings expand and contract in the bore to seal against the cylinder wall. If they are coked-up (carbon) they won't be able to move and you'll get excess blow-by. You should check the cylinder taper before you decide to re-ring. If the cylinders are out of round or excessively tapered, it won't be worth it. If you do re-ring, you should hone the bore first to break the glaze. In general re-ringing without machining the bores, leads to disappointing result.

-jim

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
JimV

and above all, check for, and remove the ring ridge at the top of the bore. good luck, sammm

Reply to
sammmm