Reliability

Warranty Direct, an insurance co, has just released an analysis of reliability and cost of repair.

"Jeep was the worst performer, with an average repair bill of £587.92, and

41 claims per 100 insurance policies held. Jeeps were afflicted by air conditioning failures and rear suspension and axle problems, Warranty Direct said. "

Hmm, could that just be the rear pinion seal failure and axle seal failure ?? Jeeps are not really offroaded here, so I would imaging the offroading damage would be negligible. The dealership labour charges and cost of parts in the UK are also much higher than in the US. Hopefully DC will read this and understand why Jeeps aren't popular here !

Dave Milne

Hi Dave, Sorry this is a bit OT but about a month ago I was asking about safety recalls and you asked me to let you know how I got on.

Well, I phoned my local dealer (Cannon Lane) and they took it in two days later! all out standing work was completed and not a penny spent by me!

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Johnny Kebab

Reply to
Johnny Kebab

axle and pinion seal failure? Ive had a noise coming from the rear end of my tj on and off for a long time now... i took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong with it... i just assumed it had to do with the trac lock( which im not even sure is working anymore btw) any chance that there is some common jeep ailment effecting it? thanks.

Reply to
Waveblast9

Good news ; I'll see if I have any outstanding ! Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

if its a seal failure, you will see the seepage on the back of your wheel (axle seal) or at the back of your diff (pinion seal). What sort of noise do you get ? Is it lifted ?

Dave Milne

I wonder if "air conditioning failure" is the water that drips into the passenger footwell ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
twaldron

The A/C failure was poor welding of the evaporator core which resulted in freon leaks inside the car, and very expensive repairs. I think most were covered by warranty, and Chrysler did give an extended warranty on the evaporator around 1994. Several model years were affected, beginning with the 1993's. Ours was among them.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I don't think the problem is so much that these things happen, but rather the dealer charges so much to fix them...

Dave Milne

I had this problem on my '99 TJ two or three years ago and it only happened on extremely humid days. There was no freon leak on mine, just water -- about an inch or so -- and my wife was getting tired of trying to find a dry place to put her feet. The work-around fix 'til I got it to the dealer was to pull the passenger-side floorpan drain plug.

The dealer said it was a known problem and that the drain tube on the evaporator was too short, allowing condensate to trickle through a seam or grommet as it dripped down the firewall. He also said that it was sporadic; i.e., it would leak on some jeeps but not on others. Bad design from the git-go. The fix was to braze an extension tube onto the drain that led the condensate to the bottom of the tub. I think they charged me around $35. Haven't had it happen again since.

Scotty '99 TJ 4.0L Sahara

Dick writes:

Reply to
Scotty