The aa breakdown parts system

My AA reknewal came up for reknewal today and they offered me for a discount of £85 a policy offer which includes cost of parts to be covered and reclaimed direct from them for just £85. The lady read out all the parts they replace and seems good ?

Or is this as much of an arse ache as warranty policies ?

she said if your geabox fails they pay the entire cost of repair, or you head gasket etc etc so you won't be hundreds out of pocket.

Reply to
Pete

All subject to fair wear and tear

Reply to
steve robinson

Hmmm just been reading the terms and conditions, you have the have the car serviced at a garage. I do all my own servicing.

No doubt come time to claim it turns in to a head ache.

Sounds good on paper though.

Reply to
Pete

for anyone that cares

Pete

Relative has this; when the starter motor failed, the problem was finding a garage who would do the work and then claim the money back from the AA. (The AA had sold them the policy on the basis that they wouldn't have to pay anything up front.) They all wanted to be paid, and get the insured to claim the money back, because it took so long for the AA to pay up.

Eventually, the AA gave them the name of a garage who would do the work without paying them directly. This was fairly local, and the job was done efficiently, so it worked out OK.

No questions were asked regarding servicing.

IMHO, if you are going to insure against this risk, the AA's policy is better than the warranty insurers. It's still not something I personally would do however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have never had a gearbox fail, nor a head gasket blow. So I am pretty glad that I haven't been paying 85 pounds a year just in case. In fact, in over 40 years of motoring the only thing that I ever needed the AA for was a bleeding great nail in a tire. And as it happens VW replace damaged tires for free, including nails and damage done by colliding with the kerb.

Reply to
krak

I have the 1.6 which has a known gearbox problem, its a case of when not if sadly for me.

Although could be worth putting that money to one side for when it does happen. I used to ave a emergency car fund for stuff like this might start it up again.

My vw golf has be plagued with issues, not always costly but a PITA like the plasic window regulator clips. I've only just finished upgrading all of them with the repair kit before they drop at the worst possible time. But I guess like any car you get troubles.

Reply to
Pete

"Plagued with isssues" may be right. Mine is plagued by small children. During the last winter I found a 9 year old cheerfully clearing eight inches of snow off the car with a garden spade. The whole front half of the car had to be resprayed. It even needed a new windscreen. No, it wasn't cheap.

Reply to
krak

we had that with our Lexus, the parents were outside too and said not a word!! Happily no significant damage occurred as I got out there quick.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

So I do. I know it is done properly then.

Reply to
Colin