Door hinge pins....

Hi Group, I need to remove the pins from the door hinges of my 77 vert. Any body got any experience with this? I have tried banging them out with a punch and hammer. They didn't budge and I'm concerned about ruining the rivets and/or door to hinge connection. Can they be pressed out? What's the best method of removal? Thanks, Charles

Reply to
Ervin Charles

Air hammer on 40% overpressure (above recommended maximum operating pressure that is) worked for me ;) Still wasn't enough to get ALL of them out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Ervin Charles

I did it with the door in th ecar, and CLOSED. So that teh door gets as much support as possible. I was worried about it too, but it didn't get loose. The risk is there, I agree.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

How about supporting/backing the hinge with a friends help.

some sort of other weighted backing will absorb most of the impact and help minimize the risk.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Just thinking out loud ...

Can you press them out? like ball joint splitting .

Rich

MUADIB® wrote:

Reply to
tricky

There's a removal tool for them that they used at VW. Dimensions and instructions for making one yourself here:

Good luck.

Jan

tricky wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I gathered that picture off the web a few years back also. Anyone besides Mr Hoover used it with success?

I left Mr hoover out 'cause I believe he was the original poster of the tools' working drawing..........I could be wrong though. ( if so, please pardon my mistake )