starting trouble with my YJ

it started when i broke down last week.I was on my way to work and it acted like i ran out of gas (have full tank) and would not start back up.After i was towed home i tried starting it and it would just crankover.When i would leave the key in the on position the auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay would start clicking.When they stopped fuel presure would build up and it was able to start.Now it just turns over relays wont click. I just did a tune up and replaced the coil.Oil presure gauge would increase with rpm's.I checked everything i could think of.Fues's ,swaped relays,pulled fuel pump out,checked power to fuel pump.changed ignition switch,looked for bare wires,fuesable links.ANd im not able to get any codes because the check engine light doesnt allways work.The only other thing i diddnt check for is a short in the stearing collumn. anyone have any sugestions "please" c

-- cj hupp

View this thread:

Send from

cj hupp

like i ran out of gas (have full tank) and would not start back up.After i was towed home i tried starting it and it would just crankover.When i would leave the key in the on position the auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay would start clicking.When they stopped fuel presure would build up and it was able to start.Now it just turns over relays wont click. I just did a tune up and replaced the coil.Oil presure gauge would increase with rpm's.I checked everything i could think of.Fues's ,swaped relays,pulled fuel pump out,checked power to fuel pump.changed ignition switch,looked for bare wires,fuesable links.ANd im not able to get any codes because the check engine light doesnt allways work.The only other thing i diddnt check for is a short in the stearing collumn. anyone have any sugestions "please" cj

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

like i ran out of gas (have full tank) and would not start back up.After i was towed >home i tried starting it and it would just crankover.When i would leave the key in the on position the auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay would start >clicking.When they stopped fuel presure would build up and it was able to start.Now it just turns over relays wont click. I just did a tune up and replaced the >coil.Oil presure gauge would increase with rpm's.I checked everything i could think of.Fues's ,swaped relays,pulled fuel pump out,checked power to fuel >pump.changed ignition switch,looked for bare wires,fuesable links.ANd im not able to get any codes because the check engine light doesnt allways work.The >only other thing i diddnt check for is a short in the stearing collumn. anyone have any sugestions "please"

Yup, having just been through this on a '95 YJ...change the fuel pump. Got the pump and strainer through Car Quest for $107 including tax. Everyone else wanted to sell the whole tank unit, gauge sender and all.

-- Old Crow '95 YJ

Reply to
Old Crow

My guess is you have a fuel injected 4.0 YJ with a dead CPS or a broken body ground strap.

You could have a whole pile of different engines in there depending on what year it is and they all have their quirks so letting us know what 'kind' of YJ might increase your odds of a fix.

If you have the 4.0, then the CPS connection is on top of the manifold at the back and the CPS is on the top drivers side bell housing. Usually it's just a dirty plug that a clean with spray contact cleaner will fix.

The body ground could be a mesh cable from the rear of the head to the firewall or from the battery to the firewall or fender. If this is ratty, only a full charge on the battery will allow power to pass. Now that you have worn down the battery, it can't pass a bad connection so nothing clicks anymore.

Mike

like i ran out of gas (have full tank) and would not start back up.After i was towed home i tried starting it and it would just crankover.When i would leave the key in the on position the auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay would start clicking.When they stopped fuel presure would build up and it was able to start.Now it just turns over relays wont click. I just did a tune up and replaced the coil.Oil presure gauge would increase with rpm's.I checked everything i could think of.Fues's ,swaped relays,pulled fuel pump out,checked power to fuel pump.changed ignition switch,looked for bare wires,fuesable links.ANd im not able to get any codes because the check engine light doesnt allways work.The only other thing i diddnt check for is a short in the stearing collumn. anyone have any sugestions "please" cj

Reply to
Mike Romain

acted like i ran out of gas (have full tank) and would not start back up.After i was towed home i tried starting it and it would just crankover.When i would leave the key in the on position the auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay would start clicking.When they stopped fuel presure would build up and it was able to start.Now it just turns over relays wont click. I just did a tune up and replaced the coil.Oil presure gauge would increase with rpm's.I checked everything i could think of.Fues's ,swaped relays,pulled fuel pump out,checked power to fuel pump.changed ignition switch,looked for bare wires,fuesable links.ANd im not able to get any codes because the check engine light doesnt allways work.The only other thing i diddnt check for is a short in the stearing collumn. anyone have any sugestions "please" cj

Check the ground on the fuel pump.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

fuel pump does work when i hook it to 12v supply

-- cj hupp

View this thread:

Send from

cj hupp

My jeep is a 95 with a 4 cyl.I checked the mesh ground that connects to the firewall and it does look alittle "tattered" but still in one peice.Do you mean the ground that is connected to top of fuel tank

-- cj hupp

View this thread:

Send from

cj hupp

Nope, that mesh one is the main body ground. All the power must go through it. The ground for the fuel pump on some YJ's is a wire on the frame of the emergency brake.

I test the body ground by using a booster cable from the battery negative to a good solid metal point on the body.

There also is a mesh wire across one of the engine mounts for the frame. That might affect the pump if the pump grounds at the back. The rear ground is 'usually' for the gas gauge though.

Mike

firewall and it does look alittle "tattered" but still in one peice.Do you mean the ground that is connected to top of fuel tank?

Reply to
Mike Romain

thanks mike i'll try and get to that today before i leave for work. I am also working on my 89 s-10 pickup truck it also dosent want to start. When it rains it pours for me

-- cj hupp

View this thread:

Send from

cj hupp