Replacing spark plugs

Hi,

I have my '99GC 4.0L 6cyl in the shop for a 90K maintenance. The mechanic just called me and says that he found platinum plugs in there and so he must replace them with platinum plugs. He insists that he cannot replace platinum plugs with regular plugs (which are included in the maintenace charge) and wants to charge me $12 extra per plug. Is this true? I do not intend to keep the car long enough to justify the benefit of platinum plugs, so I'm inclined to go with regular plugs. Is there any downside to this or am I just getting scammed?

thanks.

-Tin

Reply to
tinman

That's a load of bull.

For that much you may as well go buy six plat plugs like the ones that are in there and take them to the mechanic to install. Just remind them to take off the cost of OEM regular plugs from your ticket or give you the plugs since you paid for them.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, Doug. I'm just going to insist he replace them with regular plugs and I'll take the *chance* of the engine blowing up :)

thx.

-Tin

Reply to
tinman

What does the label say? There should be a label under the hood somewhere that says what kind of plugs you are supposed to use and other emissions related information.

If it really does have platinum plugs in there they are supposed to last longer, and they probably don't need to be replaced now.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That engine came from the factory with copper Champions as your 'mechanic' well knows.

If you have had no drivability problems with the Platinums (I haven't in 3 Jeeps) you can continue with them but be advised Bosch Platinums RETAIL for less than $2.50 each.

Reply to
billy ray

Bosh spark plugs are junk. I wouldn't put them in a lawn mower. Every time I have seen a car with driveability problems due to bad spark plugs they have always been Bosh.

Reply to
Mike

Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The only difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides the plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last longer. Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in performance.

Reply to
Mike

The platinum plugs will last longer but there will be no difference in the way the engine runs no matter which plug is used.

Reply to
Mike

Autolite is what I use. Tried Campion but they look sorta cheap side-by-side with the Autolites. Either way, changing plugs every couple of oil changes lets me keep an eye on the engines internals.

Reply to
DougW

Jeeps seem to prefer low tech copper plugs for some reason,

I've not had a problem with Bosch Platinum plugs in the 25+ years I've used them but maybe I was just lucky.

Reply to
billy ray

My '00 Sport came with and calls for Champion standard copper-core plugs. I can't imagine a model year older vehicle requiring the platinum plugs. Agree with whats already been posted; it doesn't matter what the guy found, it's what the proper plug is that counts. Check theunderhood decal or, if you have the owners manual, I'll bet you'll find the plug type listed in there.

Sounds to me like this guy just wants to gouge you on a set of plugs you don't need.

mike

00XJ
Reply to
Mike

Got news for ya. Lots of Jeep I6 engines will not run for shit on Bosch platinum plugs. Too many folks get suckered by the hype and figure more expensive must be better eh.

I have easily fixed many bad idle issues by simply tossing the fancy expensive plugs in the trash while replacing them with cheap Champions.

Mike

Mike Romain

I don't believe that this is because platinum plugs are inherently bad. They don't work right in many applications, just because somebody gets the heat range wrong. That could be a bad listing, a half asleep parts jockey or any number of factors. The only way to get the right heat range, unless you are racing and have a radically modified engine, in which case you are assumed to know what you are doing, heh, is to use OEM plugs. The type of plug you need, is on the under hood label, in the owner's manual and in the shop manual.

There is a big difference in performance, as Mike says, if you put the wrong part in your engine.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

On 5 Apr 2007 15:29:31 -0700 in , "tinman" graced the world with this thought:

And right after that, you might place a call to your local BBB and report his dumb ass. If no one ever does anything about bunk mechanics, they'll just go one screwing people every chance they get.

Reply to
bizbee

This may or may not be related, but some aftermarket ignitions for racing/high performance specify NOT to use platinum plugs. I do not know the reason. As far as brands, I too have had problems with certain brands of plugs in certain brands of engines, but some of these engines were modifyed also. I have had the best luck with Autolite personally. I had an old Mercury outboard that called for Champion plugs, but they would foul out after a few weeks. I did a lot of trolling (not newsgroups, lol) and the plugs would just crap out after a few weeks. A simple cross reference to Autolite and I got a full summer of fishing without any fouled plugs. OTOH, I have had engines that would run on Champions and nothing else.

Chris

I have been using Bosch plugs for over 30 years as a professional mechanic, and have seen one bad new plug. I have seen quite a few bad new Champions, though.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Yea. If you've ever sat a Champion beside an Autolite, the Champion looks cheap. Pot metal instead of forged cheap.

I'm running Champs right now but will switch to Autolite in a few more miles.

Reply to
DougW

I have had the same bad experience with Bosh plugs that you have, Mke, and not just with jeeps. Just replace the Bosh plugs with ANY other brand and the vehicle runs well again.

Let me clarify the above massage you quoted. ALL Bosh plugs are JUNK, platinum or regular.

Now, the following pertains to good quality spark plugs. The only difference between a regular and a platinum spark plug is that the platinum spark plug will last longer. There will be no difference in performance between the two.

Reply to
Mike

Never heard of "high power plugs", care to explain what they are and when the are required ?

I have never seen an engine that REQUIRED plantinum plugs. Platinum plugs are usually used in applications where the plugs are a bitch to replace. The are generally good for 60,000 - 100,000 miles. I have seen regular plugs used in place of platinums quite often and they perform no differently except they don't last as long.

Reply to
Mike

Before plat was common Bosch made Silver plugs. The idea is that plat (or silver) LASTS LONGER THAN THE PLAIN ONES, oops keeping the gap for longer, as required by smog laws. So instead of changing plugs at normal intervals, Plats make cleaner air longer for those who don't do proper maintenence. When you get to dual-fire style coils, like mid 90s GM products, one plug fires + while the other fires -, so a dual plat is called for.

Reply to
Stupendous Man