'96 JGC pinion bearing singing and LSD recommendations.

How much does the average pinion bearing cost to get replaced?

Also looking for recommendations on LSD since I'm going to have the whole thing torn apart. Which are the best? Don't want to spend the money for an Air locker. I only do little offroading, mainly in the fall and over winter.

Thanks in advance.

SB

Reply to
SB

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You can buy a master bearing rebuild kit (pinion & carrier bearings plus seals, shims) for about $90. Depending on your local economy, a small shop might charge $100 labor to install.

The best LSDs are gear driven like the Detroit TrueTrac:

A TrueTrac will run about $350 and labor to install might be $100, maybe less if you're getting the bearings replaced anyway.

Steve

SB wrote:

Reply to
Steve

So far as a limited slip differential goes, the clutchless gear-based Detroit Truetrac is real hard to beat. But depending on which axle is in your JGC, one may or may not be available for it. The JGC's Dana 44 is different from the Wrangler's Dana 44 and while I am not 100% sure, I don't believe Tractech (manufacturer of the Truetrac) makes one for the JGC's Dana 44. The bearing cost won't be much but the labor is probably going to be somewhere between $200 and $300 since the gears will have to be set up, maybe as low as $150 if you avoid the dealer and the installer knows how to set the pinion depth without wasting extra steps..

Jerry

SB wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

when did they stop using the aluminum housing? (or is it still being used?)

cal

Reply to
Cal

Reply to