Right-Hand drive?

I've been offered a 2003 6cyl AT hard top hard door TJ with 30,000 miles for $3000. It looks to be in perfect condition. The only catch is that it is right-hand drive. I don't know the laws in Virgina concerning right-hand drive, or if I'd have trouble with lifting the Jeep or anything else. I don't mind right-hand drive, but I'm concerned it might be a scam. Anyone know anything?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
carlsaiyed

Well, you can't even get an 80's CJ that's a runner for that price around here and 80's vintage Cherokee's are still getting 3K so I don't know......

Your local department of motor vehicles is online, I would check there....

Maybe it's only allowed for postal delivery?

Mike

Mike Romain

ill give you 2k profit!!!! TODAY!!!

Reply to
Jeeper

Check Virginia's Secretary of State or DMV website; that said I don't know of any laws that say a vehicle must have the steering wheel on one side or the other, it's which side of the road you drive on that matters. If it was originally registered in another country you might have registration issues, but as long as it came from the factory with right-hand drive or it was a factory-authorized conversion, I can forsee no problems. Lifting it should be no problem either.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

RHD vehicles in the United States are almost all used for rural postal delivery. The poor mail carriers use LHD vehicles, and lean over real far, when stuffing mail boxes.

I don't understand a 2003 vehicle, of any make or model, with 30,000 miles, sold for only $3,000. What does it look like, who is selling it, and where is it located? I wonder if you have a rural mail carrier who died, and his heirs just don't know where to unload a vehicle like that?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You know, I think I would check around the net and find out what state uses RHD vehicles for mail. I would then try to find out if they recently had a big flood....

Just a thought....

Mike

Mike Romain

Hey guys. Turns out it was a scam. Not sure how this guy was going to pull it off. Here's the skinny. I bid on this Jeep on eBay. My max bid was $3000. The final bid was around 11K. Did not meet the reserve. I recieved a 'second chance offer' to buy the vehicle for my maximum bid of $3000. I wrote back saying I would take it for that price, someone with the e-mail of ' snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com' wrote back to confirm the vehicle was availible for $3000, and asked for my location and eBay user ID. I responed with the information (no, I didn't give him my password or any other information). I got ancy, checked the photos. Found out the dealer selling the Jeep is Bob Puckett Jeep in South Boston, VA. I called Mr. Bob Puckett to confirm the deal and he said the he had no idea who ' snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com' and he would never sell that Jeep for $3000. He was very polite, though very confused about where I got this offer from. Wow.. glad I'm a skeptic!

Carl

Reply to
carlsaiyed

Postal service is a federal function, not state. I believe that in many locales, rural delivery is on a contract basis. The carriers are independent business owners, of a sort, who supply their own vehicles and supplies. Many buy RHD vehicles for the convenience and efficiency that they provide. Others make do with the LHD family car.

I have heard, that it is in "interesting" experience, driving a wrong hand drive vehicle on public roads, but that one quickly gets used to it.

I saw a deal like this once, and drove to the dealer to check it out. It turns out that Auto Trader had misprinted the price.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's why Jeep started making RHD Wranglers in the US again.

The poor mail carriers use LHD vehicles, and lean over real far,

In my neck of the woods they use LHD vehicles and sit in the right seat, with their left leg stretched over for the pedals and working the wheel with one hand. I tend to give them a wide berth.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Wow I've seen a right hand drive sahara around here in Jacksonville Florida driving around before. Also it isn't used as a postal vehicle. It's a TJ even. It belongs to some company, I can't remember what now but it's got a hard top and a single yellow flashing light mounted to the top. Not security either.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

A far as I'm concerned, RHD in the US is dangerous. A couple I knew got killed in a RHD sport car when we were young (many years ago). It's OK in the 'burbs and would be on trails. Problem comes trying to pass on single-lane roads. With RHD you cannot see whats coming until you are out in the other lane and then it is too late. It was for my friends and the people thay killed.

Reply to
Vito

If you recognize the line-of-sight limitations of a right-hand drive vehicle in the US, then you know that (a) you shouldn't pass or (b) back off enough from the car you want to pass to see far enough down the road. I'm sorry your friends got killed but it sounds like they didn't recognize those limitations, it's not the fault of the RHD.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Also.. couldn't the passenger look to see if its clear?

Reply to
Brandonb

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Can't see why. I drive a LHD Wagoneer in the UK, and have no problems. If I can't see whats coming until I'm out in the other lane, I stay in the lane I am in. In actual practice however, you can see everything you can see with a RHD vehicle unless you are stupid enough to pull up about a foot behind a bus's rear bumper.

Reply to
Dave Milne

You don't mind right hand drive??

Do you realize how difficult and unsafe that will be to drive on two lane highways, or anywhere else for that matter. You simply will not be able to pass slower moving traffic, because it will be almost impossible to see the oncoming traffic.

I would not purchase a right hand drive vehicle for the US at any price, unless I was a mail carrier.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

It would be OK for off roading though. Sometimes you want to know, just how far from the right edge of the trail you really are. Like when it's what we Coloradans call an "embankment", but the rest of the world calls it a "cliff".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That sucks!

Seahag

wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

Too bad it was a scam. It is federal law that states that new production vehicles imported must be left hand drive, unless specially permitted, and the Gov can do what they want. I have driven quite a few British righties here in Ca, and had one hauled here from Mass. It is a bit weird driving in the gutter when making right turns, and using turn lanes, but like anything else, you get used to it. The passing danger is real. I have had a lot of fun driving this one,

with my 4 year old nephew in the left front seat. A monkey would be even better.

Reply to
Stupendous Man