New Odissey - opinions

I've been thinking about buying new Odyssey for a while. Did a test drive and I loved the car. My wife liked it even more. The first thing I noticed is it is very hard to negotiate the price - this minivan seems to be very popular that dealers doesn't budge on the prices also I didn't noticed any promotions, rebates and such in the newspapers. The main question for me, is the price really justified? With a few options it easily goes over 30K. I'm also at a loss which options to go for and which are not essential.

Please share you opinions.

IP.

Reply to
I.Pavlov

Generally, yes. But don't buy the Touring; it's not worth it, IMHO. Just be careful about how you option it out.

If you get an LX, you get an incredible value. I, however, like the power sliding doors on the EX.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

===========================

When you finally 'grow out' of an Odyssey, you've got something worth selling. Not so with a 'Dog Caravan'.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Visit

forum and you will find all the information you could ever want.

Reply to
Woody

Which model got the variable cylinder feature? Does it really provide substantial fuel economy? In general I'm not a big fan of extra features, since they tend to be overpriced and would probably go for LX but this particular engine feature looks very attractive especially with gas prices as they are. But it looks it is not offered on LX, but only on more upscale models. Any opinions on this?

IP.

Reply to
I.Pavlov

Thanks for the link. The site is very impressive and it is amazing that Odyssey created such a following.

Reply to
I.Pavlov

Totally agree with you regarding D. Caravan. In fact, the only alternative I'm currently considering is Toyota Sienna. After test-driving both, my opinion is that with 2005 Odyssey Honda managed to create superior minivan. May be due to Toyota's understanding of this fact, or to compete with ubiquitous employee-pricing offers from US car makers Toyota now offers some attractive deals and rebates. There were a few of them in latest Sunday papers, but I didn't see any from Honda. So I'm currently trying to resolve this dilemma. Please share your opinions on how Odyssey compares to Sienna in reliability, resale value and value for money arias.

Thanks, IP.

Reply to
I.Pavlov

Touring model. Don't know about its impact on mileage--but you do pay dearly for the privilege.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hi I just got my first Odyssey Van, in June. Watch for a tent sale. Like you I don't always go for all of the fancy things in a car. However I wouldn't go with the LX, simply because when I looked I told him I didn't need a lot of buttons, and was on a tight budget. Anyway the price difference for me was $3000 between the LX and the bottom EX. Now there is another EX that is fancier and of course costs more. I have gone from having all the buttons I could want in a Ford Explorer Limited to an EX Oddy, and would never trade. I even asked if they had program cars, or year olds, and they said no once they leave the lot they don't come back. That was a huge selling point for me. Also depends on what you need the van for. I have found the little seat in the second row to be sooo helpful. Great place for the dog to ride when we have extra passengers, but also (and more important) perfect place for our daughters toy bag, and still leaves enough room for the other passenger in the same row. I am a fairly husky person and rode in my step -in-laws Dodge Caravan this summer, the seats are much smaller in it than the Oddy, and the oddy rides better as far as I am concerned. Even the in-laws remarked how they liked the set up on the oddy better. The oddy just has more room hands down. We looked at a Mazda also and they are small. I sometimes wish I had the storage of the Dodge, but with the fold down seats, and the lazy susan, and three glove compartments, and more I can't complain too much. Another thing that sold us was the 2nd row passenger windows coming down like a regular car. Much more air can get through, also the shades being in the doors, was an automatic plus. The drive on this thing is phenomenal. It can handle a load, and stopping with no problems. Second day we had it, we had to pick up sod, yes it took two more trips than we planned, but didn't know how it would handle. First trip home with the sod a deer ran out in front of me. I stopped almost on "a Dime" LOL, and no swerving, or brake noise needed. My biggest problem right now is remembering to turn the engine off. I can't hear the darn thing running, and usually can't feel it. It gets great gas mileage, handles beautifully, and even though I didn't want to be a mini van mom, and I am sold now. Okay I will stop I can not give you anything bad. Well except the price. But the only other vehicle I would take besides this one is the Dodge, and there is not comparison there. Do like I did, they offered me one price, and my daughter(3 yr old), and I got up to leave. I got over book value for my "96 explorer, and even got 100,000 mile warranty. Look for a tent sale. You don't get a great option on colors, but prices help.

Reply to
bltravis