Right-Hand drive?

Thousands of people in the UK drive this way when in Europe mainland. Haven't heard news reports of thousands being killed on holiday. Drive within the limitations - if you can't see far enough ahead to overtake, don't.

A friend of mine has moved to France and still insists on driving his RHD car in a LHD country. I've done it many times, with no ill effect.

Reply to
Danny

---snippy---

I am just curious now. Are England, Canada, Singapore and Australia the only countries in the world with RHD, or are there more? I drove a LHD car in a LHD country, Spain, last year, and I am still getting over it. It wasn't so much RHD vs. LHD, but the tiny narrow streets, the insanely homicidal drivers, and the proliferation of traffic rotaries ("rotondas") that would put my native New England to shame.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton
  1. Anguilla
  2. Antigua and Barbuda
  3. Australia
  4. Bahamas
  5. Bangladesh
  6. Barbados
  7. Bermuda
  8. Bhutan
  9. Botswana
  10. Brunei
  11. Cayman Islands
  12. Christmas Island (Australia)
  13. Cook Islands
  14. Cyprus
  15. Dominica
  16. East Timor
  17. Falkland Islands
  18. Fiji
  19. Grenada
  20. Guernsey (Channel Islands)
  21. Guyana
  22. Hong Kong
  23. India
  24. Indonesia
  25. Ireland
  26. Isle of Man
  27. Jamaica
  28. Japan
  29. Jersey (Channel Islands)
  30. Kenya
  31. Kiribati
  32. Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia)
  33. Lesotho
  34. Macau
  35. Malawi
  36. Malaysia
  37. Maldives
  38. Malta
  39. Mauritius
  40. Montserrat
  41. Mozambique
  42. Namibia
  43. Nauru
  44. Nepal
  45. New Zealand
  46. Niue
  47. Norfolk Island (Australia)
  48. Pakistan
  49. Papua New Guinea
  50. Pitcairn Islands (Britain)
  51. Saint Helena
  52. Saint Kitts and Nevis
  53. Saint Lucia
  54. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  55. Seychelles
  56. Singapore
  57. Solomon Islands
  58. South Africa
  59. Sri Lanka
  60. Suriname
  61. Swaziland
  62. Tanzania
  63. Thailand
  64. Tokelau (New Zealand)
  65. Tonga
  66. Trinidad and Tobago
  67. Turks and Caicos Islands
  68. Tuvalu
  69. Uganda
  70. United Kingdom
  71. Virgin Islands (British)
  72. Virgin Islands (US)
  73. Zambia
  74. Zimbabwe
Reply to
Dave Milne

Hey you, we drive on the right side of the road up here in The Great White North too eh!

Mike

Mike Romain

How about domestically produced vehicles? If memory serves, the RHD Wranglers are built in Toledo. Got a link to that law you cite?

> with my 4 year old nephew in the left front seat. A monkey would be even > better.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Japan.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III
2 billion people.
Reply to
Dave Milne

All driving on the wrong side of the road. lol. Of course, my BSA motorcycle shifts on the right side, not the wrong side as everyone else thinks. There was a time when there was no standard, for example Stearns-Knight in

1912 had the steering wheel on the left, in 1913 on the right, then 1914 back to the left where it stayed.
Reply to
Stupendous Man

I asked my buddy what he thought about this thread since he drives a RHD Rover Defender in Canada.. He says that it's usually not too bad to pass, he finds he can get a good look up the right side of the highway to see if any cars are coming...but his real answer was "passing in a Land Rover isn't an option"...lol

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

I drive a LHD in a RHD country (South Africa); usually with an SUV (use to drive a Toy Cruiser), you can see right over the other cars; except when behind a truck (what you might call a semi) with the Porsche I fall back, look and put foot... It is much easier to drive on the roads you are use to, but a person used to driving on the RH side, usually find it difficult when it comes to traffic circles to go round the wrong way when travelling in a country where he needs to drive on the LH side.

Dirk matthee

4X4PLAY wrote:
Reply to
UCT Staff Member - dmatthee

Yep, it took me a week in Bermuda to start getting used to those circles.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I drive a LHD in a RHD country (South Africa); usually with an SUV (use

Reply to
twaldron

I lived in the Bahamas for four years. To help the transition to driving on the left I just taped a 3x5 card on the dash that said "Drive Left". After a week it was second nature and if I did head off the wrong way the locals would wave and yell... and laugh. The rotaries (roundabouts or circuses in the Bahamas) weren't that bad because I grew up in Massachusetts where rotaries were commonplace. Passing with LHD wasn't much of an option because I was driving a Suzuki Samurai. All I could pass were tourists on those rental motor scooters :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I grew up in Massachusetts, and one of the benefits of moving to the Rocky Mountains used to be no rotaries. Now idiot city councils everywhere are starting to put them in. I guess they heard, that all the civilized places have them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think they are designed by the idiot Civil Engineers who design parking lots that you cannot easily get in or out of without jumping curbs or going over berms...... ' gotta love that 4WD"

Reply to
billy ray

Over here we are used to tiny streets and roundabouts. Same in France (or most of Europe). Only problem I have is when in Germany. If you are at the traffic lights (intersection) and they turn green you can't turn right straight away because pedestrians have right of way. In addition, most streets in towns have a seperate bus lane, and I often turned into that by mistake...

Since I ride my Honda Blackbird through Europe anyway, left or right doesn't matter, except after you pull off a petrol station and ride down the road on the wrong side until you (or someone else) realises...(often my brave pillion)...

Reply to
Danny

So how much do you want for it?

Jas Australia :-)

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Liar

Reply to
Joeseph P. Blow

ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with roundabouts ?

Dave Milne