Ring & Pinion in D30/D44

I currently have 3.07 gears in my 92 YJ, and I want ot change to 4.10.

I have been looking throught he catalouges and have found that I can get a 4.10 R&P for the D30, but only a 4.09 for the D44. Am I just looking in the wrong place? does the .01 difference matter?

It seems it would be cheaper to get a D30 out of a 4cyl then to get my D30 regeared. I have seen some sites say that the D30 for a 4cyl is a

4.10 and other say it was a 4.10 which is it?

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

Ratios within a few tenths are compatible with each other. 4.09, 4.10,

4.11 are all the same as far a you need be concerned.

Yes, swapping a D30 from a 4-banger can be cheaper, but be sure your donor D30 has the same kind of knuckles, brakes, spring mounts, etc. They do vary.

Steve

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Weren't all the HP D30's from YJ's the same?

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

Perhaps, but I don't know.

I got an '86 XJ D30 donor to swap into my '90 XJ. It was easier for me to set up the donor carrier in the '90 D30 than to deal with housing differences.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

NO, .01 does not matter at all. This difference is why you can not use 4WD on the street.

There is a larger difference in the ratios from front to rear when going around a corner than there is in the mechanical differences in the gear sets.

That might be a good strategy. The D30 out of a 4 banger is indeed loaded with 4.10 gears.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Just for the sake of conversation, the high pumpkin diffs are not the same as the low pumpkin diffs. The gears are not the same, and if used in the wrong application they will not be as strong. I don't know that this is an issue for you to be concerned about or not, but my recollection is that the Cherokees and the YJs have different D30s.

Reply to
CRWLR