Rusted skid plate 88 Grand Wagoneer

I posted a few months back about my beloved and trusted friend, my 1988 Jeep Grand Wagon in A1 shape, not getting a passing inspection due to frame rust. I took it to 3 different mechanics and all say I would have to take the body off the frame to do the repairs. So I did what anyone would do for a sick friend and I found someone who would overlook certain things for a price and got another year's inspection. I do want to work on this, however, but at least I have a year. As far as the skid plate, there's really not much left. I understand that it doesn't really hold the gas tank in place. But should I be worried?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

It is replaceable, nothing to worry about. It isn't holding the vehicle together or anything like that. If that is all that is keeping it from passing inspection, just take it off so they don't have as much rust to look at.

Reply to
nrs

Mark,

With all due respect: stop faffing about and get down to business. You received some good advice (which snowballed into something else), and have elected to continue talking to mechanics who are neither interested in nor professionally geared towards this type of repair. I spent over a decade professionally in automotive and heavy equipment repair -- all in the rust belt with a heavy lean towards fabrication and "making the job go". One of your mechanics suggested a welding/ fabrication shop (albeit with an out of the blue "estimate"), as did I. You may indeed have to separate the frame a bit for sufficient access, but we're not talking about rocket science or necessarily complete separation.

Find a welding shop willing to do the repair -- i.e. one with plow frames, construction equipment, and the sort piled outside, not a boutique in the suburbs. Show up ready and willing to get the job done, asking what you need (as opposed to what you want) to have repaired and the non-restoration circumstances surrounding it. You can't get a serious estimate on this type of job if you waffle about. Bring some graphic documentation about the specialty repair items in the aftermarket....see links below. I think the "frame repair" piece might solve a lot of your concerns, probably not worth purchasing to a well equipped shop, but it might be the bit of encouragement they need to jump in.

I don't mean to be too abrupt but this forum is only good for talking about doing work, not getting it accomplished. No one can assess your damage or risk factor without at the very least seeing what you're talking about (a few photos, perhaps?)....I don't know what you expect.

I'll be happy to respond to some pics, as will others, and we look forward to hearing about how the job progresses.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yes I fully intend to get at this. I just "bought" the inspection sticker to allow me to drive it here and there to get the work done. I have photos I could upload but I'm not sure how it's done in a newsgroup posting.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

You either post them to a photo site and link to it or post over in the group alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 and tell us about it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Well.....

I 'have' had my skid plate and gas tank up and fall off on a trail...

I was over 200 miles from home and 20 from camp running solo because someone forgot something on the store run.

I ended up with it in the back seat and hoses running all over to get home.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

You shouldn't send pictures to any newsgroup that doesn't have "binaries" in the name and that includes this one.

The best way is to put the photos on a website and send a link to the pictures. If you don't have your own website, there are places available that will allow you to upload your pictures and share them, some of them are free. Google will find them for you.

Take a look here:

I haven't used it myself but lots of people do...

Reply to
XS11E

OK, here's my first attempt at sharing the photos:

3780 is a photo from the outside of the left frame rail right at the skid plate area. Can't really see the frame rail from the other side as the tank gets in the way. From this view you can see surface rust but it's all solid.

3781 is a few inches back from there as the frame angles upward in front of the left rear wheel. You can easily see a hole rusted clean through the frame.

3782 and 83 are just upshots at the underside of the tank. You can see there's very little skid plate left.

3784 is on the right frame rail just behind the front wheel where a shock is supported. There is a small hole right at the base of the support.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

Great, it worked perfectly!

I don't mean the photos are great, looks like a very bad rust problem there. It's going to take some doing to save the vehicle from rusting more and to repair what's already been done, I hope it works out for you and the shops you've talked to are able to repair things.

Good luck.

Reply to
XS11E

That 'looks' almost like the skid still, not the 'frame'? Or do you mean the frame of the skid?

I would start checking out wreckers to find a replacement. Maybe there is one there already changed for new, it happens.

Meanwhile there are lots of places to get Jeep tanks and skid plates usually.

This is the most important. Your spring will tear loose there. They can remove the mount and spring hanger and put an angle plate over it, then put them back. Cost me about $150.00 for a job like that on mine.