~~~ Say hello to my little friend!!! ~~~

I use the brake pedal trick from time to time, myself. I have, on occasion, wished I could just stop the one wheel without applying brakes to the wheel with traction, though. I would think it would be handy. I guess I'll keep on using the "brake pedal" thing... :-)

Reply to
TJim

I have thought of the VW setup, it has been around for a long time, but man it is enough hassle keeping one set of cables working up her in the salt belt and with the water I run.

Also I use it most in the winter on snow and ice runs and we cross water. You cannot use the e-brake. A, it's already froze up or B, it's about to and you 'sure' don't want to use it right at that frost point when it is about to go zap solid for any length of time or use it when you stop...

Mike

TJim wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've seen "cutting brakes" that do this through the brake hydraulics...pull a lever, and one of your rear wheels is locked. The primary use is to make extra-tight turns by disengaging the rear axle...using on the front axle, the one locked rear wheel would act as a pivot point for the turn. Of course you'd need a T case set up to select a front-only output.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

For those of use whose first driving experience was an old farm tractor, the concept of individually controlled rear brakes is vary familiar. If the left wheel spins in muck, you stab the pedal for the right brake a few times and jolt your way free. The pedals were paired so that you could step on both with one foot for regular braking.

[...]
Reply to
Lee Ayrton

...left brake to stop it spinning and transfer torque to the right wheel... (Not enough coffee on board.)

Reply to
Lee Ayrton