86 300zx 2+2 problem

Thanks for your time. My sons car 86 2+2 non turbo was running perfectly till yesterday. He shut it off and then a few hours later the car would start but as soon as you give it a little gas it runs hard then stalls. You can feather the gas pedal and get it to run, but barely. It ideals fine but does take a few times to get started. It started with no problem before. I removed the fuel line from right after the fuel filter and it seems to be pumping fuel out of the line fine but I don't know how much fuel pressure there is. The car also indicated that it was running a bit hot for the first time ever the day before this started. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking for the problem? I really appreciate any help that you might be able to share with me. Thanks !!

Reply to
musical stairs

From here, sounds like an air flow meter problem.. It's very doubtful it's something like a fuel pump or filter etc.

Reply to
Steve T

Unplug the Air Flow meter and see if it runs better. If so, it is the AFM. About $250 refurb if you do it yourself

Reply to
dude

Yep, I replaced the Mass air flow and it's running perfect again. Rebuilt from Kragen for 185.00 bucks. Takes about 20 minutes to do. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
musical stairs

One more thing, check the AIV valve and make SURE it isn't dumping exaust gas in front of the meter or it will shortly kill another one.

Reply to
Steve T

Hmm, Glad I checked back here Steve, thanks. OK could you please point me to where that would be located and what do I check for if you don't mind me asking sir. AIV ? air injection valve ?? Thanks again Steve

Reply to
musical stairs

It's the silver box next to the ignition coil with hoses going to it. One big hose goes to the exhaust, the other goes to the boot just in front of the MAS. It has a vacuum diaphragm on top of it with a small hose. Take the two screws out of the bracket holding the diaphragm onto the silver box (work them back and forth with some lube, they corrode and break easily) and look inside. If it's all black/burnt looking inside (normally the plunger is blue rubber..), the reed valves in it are toast and are letting exhaust go backwards through the valve, up the hose and through the MAS killing them. If nothing else, "disable" the valve until you can get a replacement. It's a dealer only part as far as I know.

It's purpose it to allow air into the exhaust for emmisions (instead of having an air pump...)

Reply to
Steve T

Thank you Steve, I much appreciate it sir. I'll check that in just a little bit.

Reply to
musical stairs

Anyone know a cheap source for the 88 service manual on CD or download?

Reply to
JimV