Snorkel ban Minnesota / stop senator Frederickson's Bill SF2793

[posted and mailed]

For all offroad friends, in particular Minnesotans, time for you to stand up for your rights. Speak up now, or be silent on this topic forever.

And while it might seem to affect only Minnesota, please realize that this could set a nasty precedent for other US-states.

Complete background story, first posted 20 march 2004, been running on several (Land Cruiser related) mailinglists since:

Below first the final plea, from Alex Woodmansee, the lady who has spend tons of hours fighting this bill the polite way, to contact the senator who created this lunacrous proposition: (note that the last reactions from his office imply that the senator has NO interest in changing the current wording at all (despite what he told before, the bastard!), so the polite game has ended; not only contact his office by all possible means, but Minnesotans should their own Minnesota senator, to oppose this bill as strongly as possible)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From: "woodmansee" Subject: [DTLC] snorkel ban help Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:19:12 -0600

all right, i am starting to get scared now, i am begging everyone, i don't care where you are, to e-mail Senator Frederickson

snipped-for-privacy@senate.mn

or call and leave a voice mail (651) 296-8138

and ask that he do a line item delete on his snorkel ban language in SF

2793

thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last & most important message, falsifying the idea that it would affect only non-road-legal ATV's:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From: "woodmansee" Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [80_usa] (Fwd) snorkel ban help / Minnesota Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:47:32 -0600

okay, here's the whole deal

senate file 2793 chief author frederickson in subdivision 1 section c reads

"A person may not operate an off-highway vehicle off-road on public land or public waters with an air intake pipe that is more than six inches above the manufacturer's original air-intake pipe"

in MN an off highway vehicle is defined as an ATV (all terrain vehicle i.e. a three or four wheeler like a Honda Foreman, etc.), an OHM (off-highway motorcycle), and an ORV (off-road vehicle) which is what a land cruiser would fall under.

now, the definition of an ORV is a vehicle licensed under MN statute blah blah blah (which means a vehicle that is highway licensed) that is then taken off road. so, if there were a toyota corolla that wanted to go on a "trail" (NOT a forest road) in a state forest say to go berry picking (yes, in MN this is a reality), that corolla then becomes an ORV.

highway licensed vehicles are NOT exempt from this snorkel ban.

the proposed ban makes it illegal to operate an ATV, OHM, or ORV with a snorkel while off road on state lands, not just state forests, but any state lands. there are exemptions for those doing utility, logging, or farm work and such.

so, i can keep my snorkels on my trucks and be fine as long as i am never off road on any state lands with them. otherwise, to be in compliance while off road on state lands, i would have to remove my safari snorkel from my truck. ya, right, like i can do that.

my three diesel cruisers are daily drivers for me. i put snorkels on for all the well known on road reasons. and keep in mind water and wetland crossings are already illegal here! but my trucks are also my trail rigs and do see trail time anywhere from 5% to 15% of the time. this law would force me to forgo a furture or undo a current modification that is really designed and used for on road purposes only on trucks are on road the majority of the time. most of the trucks in MN that have snorkels are also mostly road denizens (land rovers). the only trucks that are truly off road only trailer queens are some of the suzukis with the RPMs club. so this law is really the biggest punishment to people who have highway licensed vehicles with snorkels on them for the obvious smart on road reasons who wish to take those particular trucks off road from time to time on MN state lands. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And NO, this is NOT a late April Fool's joke.

Reply to
Willem-Jan Markerink

"the reason i have a snorkel o my truck is not for illegal deep water crossings but to get more, cleaner, and colder air for the better health and improved performance of my deisel engine."

gee , why don't I believe that eh.

Reply to
herman

Not that I claim to know whether this quote speaks the truth for the person quoted, but I do know a few jeepers with safari snorkels who installed the snorkels primarily for that exact reason: colder/cleaner air intake. I mean, a snorkel on the intake alone is not enough to make your jeep able to ford water that much deeper anyway; there are other items that need to be fixed (vent lines, etc), not to mention the possibility of simply floating away if you get in water deep enough to require that snorkel.

So, I'm not quite so cynical as you about the proclaimed reason for having a snorkel.

Reply to
Bob

"Willem-Jan Markerink" wrote in news:Xns94C1785EFEF9wjmarkerinka1nl@130.133.1.4:

Good news!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx > Some good news for a change.

Reminds me of pigs....;)) (even my own Iron Pig, as that is how its front door operates....:))

Kewl....:)) (in a Dutch newsgroup a few weeks ago, I ended a boring discussion by stating that I now had better things to do, like interfering with US- politics, but I gladly share that honor with a fellow Dutchman of course....;))

Willem (wishing he had a similar amount of influence on local politics....;)) Jan

Reply to
Willem-Jan Markerink

Reply to
Roy J

Yeah the MN legislator didn't really get anything passed this session.

Reply to
John Smith