Pulling the doors (again, sorry)

All,

Well, with the new bikini top on and April here in Florida, it's officially time to take off the doors on my 2000-TJ.

What crisis am I about to run in to?

I've read through several of the threads about pins not coming out and hinges going all to hell in a handbasket.

This door is stone stock, still painted and has no rust.

Big hammer? Medium hammer?

10 minutes? 10 hours?

Any short ideas for those "who have gone before me" ?

It would appear to be a simple matter to just pull the small bottom cap off and punch the pin out with a drift. Can it possible be that easy?

AD

Reply to
AWD

A trick I use is to wedge my leg under the door and push up while moving the door back and forth... Comes off pretty easy. Be careful at the end, caus the doors are a bit awkward and you can screw up your paint if you're not careful. (if you care about things like that) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

You really don't need to worry about things like hammers and drefts. All you need to do is remove that nut on the bottom (wrap the wrench with masking tape if preserving the color on the nut is important - I just leave my nut off) and lift the door off of the hinge. Easy as cake. I do this all the time. Nathan Otis is right that it can be a bit awkward the first time. I suggest that you have a helper for that first time and then future times it will be much easier. Keep wiggling the door open and closed as you lift straight up. Let us know how you make out.

Do you know what you will do with the doors once you have them off? I lean mine up against the garage wall on a 2x4 so the bottom does not get chipped. Others hang them on a wall. Plan this ahead. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You just have to undo one nut on the bottom of the hinge pins, then open the door and wiggle it while lifting up. Your hinges all stay in place.

Watch out for your toes! That door is a 'lot' heavier than it looks and when it comes off the hinges, it will come down at your foot in a big hurry.

The hinges you are seeing folks bitch about are the permanent ones on a Cherokee. They rust and wear which causes the door to sag and can be a real pain to change as the thread implies.

Mike

AWD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My son tried to take his doors off his 95 Wrangler the other day, but the hinge pin spins when trying to remove the nut. Other than a nut-splitter, anyone have any great ideas on how to remove this cantankerous nut? Thanks. Greg

Reply to
Greg
1 Take the nuts off the bottom of the hinge pin(s). 2 Open the door and grasp it with one directly below the hinges. 3 Use the other hand to gently swing the door through full open and mostll closed while lifting with the hand that is below the hinges. 4 If it takes more than about 10 seconds to get the door off, you are doing it wrong.

Reply to
CRWLR

To all who replied,

Thanks guys.

I'll be pulling the doors off this weekend, once the wife is convinced she won't die or fall out.

If it's not her hair getting messed up, it's falling out the open door.

I don't think she gets it. (g)

AD (thanks)

Reply to
AWD

I stand on the outside of the door, grab the interior door handle and the sideview mirror arm, and (after spinning the nuts off, not sure why I leave them on anyway...) just lift straight up. Oh, yeah, make sure the check straps are undone as well, that can be dangerous....

Reply to
Joseph P

Big time - I did this a couple of years ago on my 1991 two-door. On one of them, nothing worked - torch, drift, penetrating oil - I finally had to saw through the body side half of the hinge itself in a spot where I figured the load on the hinge would be the lowest and drive a chisel into the saw cut to free up the remains of the old hinge pin. Very ugly. Lubricate those hinges frequently! ;-)

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson