ZJ on crack. :(

Found where that odd noise was coming from and probably another contributing factor to my rough idle. Stupid exhaust header has a crack. Didn't notice it earlier since it was well hidden. Don't even think pipe wrap can help this, too big of an area and right at the weld.

Aftermarket suggestions? If I'm going in there it may as well be for a better header.

Reply to
DougW

L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

I'll give that a check. Problem is you can barely get your hand in there and it's not accessable from the top. Whoever tried would be welding by brail. It's times like this I almost miss that old POS Chevy, at least it had room to work on things.

Right now I'm looking at

They have three that don't require swapping out the downpipe. (sorta important since the whole exhaust system is welded rather than clamped)

Gibson (direct replacement nickel-chrome plated steel) $399 Gibson (direct replacement stainless) $469 Banks (direct replacement stainless) $399

Leaning toward the Banks one.

Reply to
DougW

Somebody welded that in the first place, it can be welded again.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Yes, but then it was a) new clean metal and b) off the Jeep. :) If I'm going in there to fix it it's going to be replaced with something that won't break again. But in the mean time I've got some metal bandage and strap clamps to seal it up for a week or two.

Reply to
DougW

You could always remove the fender or the manifold and repair it in the open...

Mike

Mike Romain

FS 1987 jeep cherokee 29k mi. for parts

Thgis vehicle was hit in the rear drivers side quarter.

the engine and transmission should be good.

Reply to
notell