Tyre Recommendation Mazda 6

Hi all

As the subject really, does anyone have recommendations for replacement tyres on Mazda 6? Currently Bridgestone Turanza - presumably originals.

Any comments on durable tyres with good grip for this motor appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is alleged that TheScullster claimed:

Which size wheels? Mine came with the Michelin Pilots (215/50 R17 V) (US tire ratings) as stock, and this is almost certainly their last season, I've had them since new in Dec '02, swapped out for snow tires in all but the first year.

I, too, will be looking for replacement tires. I doubt I'll be getting Michelins again because no matter how good they are, and they are quite good, they're also rather expensive.

If money were no object, I would not hesitate to get Michelin, Pirelli, or Dunlop. I would stay away from Yokohama at any price (bad experience with them in a prior car). Others' I'd consider include Firestone/Bridgestone, Toyo, and maybe Cooper.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote .

Thanks Jeffrey

Current tyre size is 205/55 R16 V rated. Am prepared to spend the money at least on the front but want a good balance between durability and grip. Pirelli have a good name, but I believe they have a reputation for high grip softer tyres which don't last too well.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is alleged that TheScullster claimed:

The basic issue is one of physics: Generally speaking, in order to increase grip you need to use a softer compound. Softer compounds wear faster. There are compounds that provide high grip and decent longevity, but they're the expensive stuff.

Like the Michelin Pilots... As I said, I've still got the stock Pilots on mine almost four years in, with almost 47,000 miles on the car. Three of the four winters had snow tires instead of the stocks, so that's an estimated 39,500 on the tires +right now+, and they are good through at least until I put the snow tires on this November.

I've had no problems with these tires, and if I could afford $200 per tire, I'd get them again as the replacement tires without hesitation.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote

The Bridgestone Turanzas on mine are on the limit after only 25000 miles. Never known tyres last 40000 plus! Have ordered Pirelli P6000 at 75GBP each fitted. I'm no race-boy, but I believe I have used Michelin in the past and had trouble with grip particularly in the wet. Maybe that's the trade off for longevity. That was many moons ago though.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is alleged that TheScullster claimed:

The +car+ has 47k miles. The tires have less. 39.5K is only a very rough estimate based on miles/year and not having them on for three or four months each year except the first. I don't actually track how many miles I have on the tires.

According to Yahoo, that is about 138USD each.

I'm not a racer either, but I do like to drive like I mean it. To that end, I once took an advanced driving course. They used Michelin Pilots exclusively on their vehicles. They had so much grip that the instructors had trouble at times intentionally inducing skids.

Yep, simple physics.

Newer rubber compounds do a better job at providing grip while providing for longevity, but they do tend to be more expensive.

I remember a bunch of years ago that at least one tire maker solved this for motorcycles by making a bi-compound tire. The edges were a softer rubber to provide extra grip when cornering and a harder rubber in the main tread section for longer life. Part of the idea was that this way, the tire would also wear more evenly. Doesn't work the same way for cars. :)

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan