Punto spare tyre oddity

1999 Fiat Punto 60, has 165/65R14s on and a 135/80R13 space saver tyre. Seemed a bit of an odd mix to me so I did the numbers and I make the diameters to be 57cm and 54.6cm respectively. Is that ever OK, for the space saver to be 2.4cm smaller diameter?!?

I looked in the HBOL and it lists several 13" and 14" tyre sizes as possibles, and for space saver spares it lists either 135/80R13 or

135/80R14. If I had the 135/80R14, then the extra inch means that of course it comes out to almost dead on the same 57cm diameter as the 165/65R14s.

So should I actually have the 14" 135/80 spare, not the 13" which I've got?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A 14" tyre is a bit of a sloppy fit on a 13" wheel, and doesn't tend to seal very well.

Reply to
Adrian

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, and forgot to say...

Does it actively say 135/80 or just 135 13 with the 80 presumed? 135/90 13 would be bob-on match for 165/65 14.

Reply to
Adrian

As it is only a 'get you to the garage emergency use only spare' it will make no real world difference.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Obviously (well I thought it was obvious, anyway), if I really ought to have the 14" spare then I change the whole spare wheel, not just the tyre. And yes the 135/80R13 is the actual marking on the tyre.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Surely he is asking if he should have a 14" wheel AND tyre?

Reply to
Lofty.

See my "I thought that was obvious" comment ;-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Are you two American?