Interesting question

A guy I ran into at the gas station the other day mentioned that the 2 engine compartment supports that run from grille to firewall on a TJ can be removed for easier servicing, since (he believes) they were placed there during manufacturing only to support the assembly prior to welding. His were removed with no apparent problems.

Sure, it would be easier to perform maintainance without them in the way, but I'm not sure if his reasoning is valid. They're pretty flimsy-looking which supports his claim, but I don't want to mess with them if structural integrity will be compromised.

Does anyone know the truth behind this? Has anyone removed theirs, and can tell me if problems arise because of it?

Reply to
Outatime

They space the core support/grill from the cowl, allowing the hood to close and latch correctly over the life of the Jeep...

Take them out and probably nothing will happen... for a while, the Jeep's hood and the grill latch is a sloppy loose toleranced setup that will continue to latch for years while the 6 fender mounting bolts and the one body mount bolt that ties to the frame crossmember all vibrate and flex their way to fatiquing off. If the Jeep lasts long enough they will snap and your radiator will eat fan or your electric fan and radiator will play with your belt drive accessories :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I figured as much. I didn't see much holding the grille assembly together as it was. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Outatime

They are pretty easy to pull when you need to service something and re-install when you are done.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

This is true - hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Reply to
Outatime

They are also good for drying socks. I'll bet some of the hunters in this group can confirm that. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You could also hang your lunch from them (wrapped in foil) and you'll have a hot meal at lunchtime on the trail. Or zip-tie your lunch to the intake manifold. If you use canned items, make sure you put a vent hole in the can, or you may end up with a nasty mess when it explodes.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Here you go!

You might also look for a book called "Manifold Destiny"

Jeff DeWitt

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Great book! Fun to read. The Model A club has a cruise/cook off every year. My uncle won it one time with a chicken dish he cooked on the engine during the cruise.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I once used the manifold of my Scout to heat a quart of water while I donned my SCUBA on a February day. I waded in up to just below my navel (where it starts feeling cold), let my buddy pour it down the back of my partially-zipped jacket, then quickly zipped it up and submerged before it had time to drain to lake level. I was new to the hobby, and found it was totally unnecessary. (Old US Divers 1/4" wet suit). But it's a good technique to remember for hot chocolate. :)

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

You never asked why divers drink so much coffee in cold weather?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And sick the whole time from what you were eating......

Which meal did you prefer?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That was the 'chopped ham and egg' which was in the breakfast or dinner rations.

How much did you weigh after that 45 days? Those rations were 3000 calories mostly from saturated fat. On the plus side you got 4 cigarettes you could trade away.

Reply to
billy ray

That makes sense. I took a good look: other than a few spot welds and those struts, there isn't much holding the grille away from the engine fan. Torque it good or bump a tree (as you said), and things could get ugly in the middle of BFE.

I left it as is. I figured they were there for a reason. I'm tempted to have something more substantial fabricated and fitted instead, say,

5/8" black powder-coated chrome moly with decent welded supports for the firewall side and a removable crossover. Would probably strengthen the entire front end and look nice too. Good winter project.
Reply to
Outatime