squilling ??

for the past week ive been hearing squilling under the hood. had them replace the belt and it still happenes... not all the time... usually if i put the clutch in it decreases.. then today it didnt squill at all... any ideas.. its a 1994 Jeep Wrangler. 150,000 miles.. cluth and shifthing is all working fine

Reply to
agent99

Like Matt said to your other post, throwout bearing, daughter's 95 YJ was the same last year, same milage.

Reply to
Greg

Possible worn out crankshaft thrust bearing. Big deal if it is.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Tell me about it.

You can check by taking a big screwdriver or pry bar and

Reply to
DougW

Are you SURE it's under the hood? When my throwout bearing went out at around 280,000 it made a squealing noise kind of like a belt but higher pitched and with a bit of a metallic sound to it.

Putting in the clutch really quieted it down, but of course the fix was to replace the bearing, and as long as it was apart the clutch. (Then the engine went out about 20,000 miles later!).

Clutch still worked perfectly, but I understand that if let go the bearing could have really messed up the input shaft on the transmission.

Jeff DeWitt

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

agent99 proclaimed:

Who was "them" and why did they replace the belt?

If you put the transmission in neutral and push in on the clutch, does the noise quit? If so, go to a different "them" than the folks that wasted your money on a serpentine belt for a noise more likely to be throwout bearing.

Reply to
Lon

So Jeff do you think I should have this bearing fixed?? I love my jeep..I really hate to part with it.I dont want to go buy someones elses problems.. . my husband had a stroke 6 years ago.. Im pretty much alone on this Thanks for all the help guys!!

Reply to
agent99

If that's what the problem is, you like the Jeep and plan on keeping it then yes.

Basically what your looking at is a new clutch, most of expense is taking everything apart and putting it back together again, so unless the clutch is virtually new it would be a waste of money to replace the bearing without replacing the clutch.

If you or someone were to listen under the Jeep with it running you can probably tell pretty quickly if the noise is coming from the front or closer to the middle where the clutch is.

If it's a 4.0 six the engine should be good for many more miles, also if you or anyone has a habit of resting their foot on the clutch pedal that can cause this problem, as can a lot of stop and go traffic.

Jeff DeWitt

agent99 wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

actually i do a lot of stop and go driving..nothing far... just around town type of thing.. and i know for sure i dont ride the clutch.. thats one thing my husband taught me as a no no.. i will listen under to see if its coming from the front or middle .. now if its in the front what does that mean??

Reply to
agent99

Just a thought - if it's a pretty high pitched squeal, you might be looking at an idler pulley bearing.

On your clutch possibility, put the transmission in neutral, release the clutch - take your foot clear off it. Now, GENTLY put your foot against the clutch pedal and begin to very slowly press the clutch pedal down. Note any sounds or even slight vibrations you feel through the pedal and give us a rundown on the whole cycle. That may give a better idea of whether the throwout is the culprit. Even a quiet throwout that is failing will give you some feeling of roughness, especially at light pressure.

Reply to
Will Honea