Switch Under The Hood

Hi,

I recently bought a '98 Camry LE and it runs great. Today, when checking the oil and poking my nose under the hood, I noticed a plunger switch in the upper far right corner and which is depressed when the hood is closed. I have no idea what it is for. I went through my owner's manual and Haynes book and could not see it mentioned anywhere. Secondly, the wire underneath has been detached and I left it that way as I'm curious as to what the plunger switch is for.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul G.

Probably for an aftermarket alarm. It would sound the alarm when hood is opened. Hook it up and see if alarm goes off. Opening hood and disconnecting battery is common way aound many car alarms. Guess it could also be for an aftermarket under the hood light.

Reply to
Wolfgang

This switch, when operating correctly, is a safety device to prevent the engine from being started using the remote control/starter. It puts a ground on the circuitry when the hood is up. Therefore it prevents anyone from starting the engine (using the remote) should someone be working under the hood. Jean-Guy

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis

Reply to
Paul G.