mexi-beetle intermittent starter problems

I have a 2003 mexi that intermittently won't start. I turn the key and the fuel pump starts, but no click of the soleniod or turn from the starter. Eventually this goes away and it works for a couple weeks, then problems again. Any ideas?

Reply to
Thomas Loos

First check the push-on connector at the solenoid for looseness/corrosion.

The fuel pump gets a signal from the "Start" position, so I'm thinking the Ign sw is OK.

Post back if you don't find anything and we'll see about more detective steps.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Thomas Loos

Good test!!

I'm not familiar with the wiring scheme in the Mexi; earlier FI cars fed the solenoid direct from Ign sw and used the "Double Relay" to control the fuel pump. Maybe they swapped around?

Follow that solenoid wire (under back seat) and see where it leads.

--

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Mexi beetles should have a modern ECU and a conventional relay for fuel pump.

Reply to
Eduardo K.