Steering box leak

Can the input shaft seal be replaced without removing to box (my TJ)? Anyone done this?

Reply to
JimG

I have done or helped on a few and it is best to just drop the box down to give you room. It is really easy, the only thing you need to unhook is the steering shaft.

When you order the new seal, if you can go to a sh>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Can the input shaft seal be replaced without removing to box (my TJ)? Anyone done this?

Reply to
JimG

Can the input shaft seal be replaced without removing to box (my TJ)? Anyone done this?

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

(sorry for the multiple posts... not intentional... trouble with server)

If I pull the box off (which will require removal of winch, maybe fan shroud, radiator, sway-bar, hoses, drag link....) I will put on a re-built unit. I just though if I could change the input seal while in-place and only remove the steering shaft.....

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You either have to remove the rad and pull the steering column inside the vehicle cab out or drop the box.

You can just drop the box and leave everything connected except the steering shaft like I outlined in my other reply.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain