Steering box leak

1990 F250, 460, 2WD

The steering box leaks at its input shaft seal. (on top)

How do I fix that, do I need to remove the steering box or is there a way around that?

Should I replace just the seal or also the whole steering box? It has about 90,000 miles on it. I cannot tell any problems while driving.

Reply to
Bendt Ten Brock

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:20:37 +0000, Bendt Ten Brock rearranged some electrons to form:

How bad is the leak? If it's not too bad, just ignore it.

Reply to
David M

It is bad enough to lower the fluid in the power steering pump to make it whine. It needs replacement.

Reply to
Bendt Ten Brock
1990 F250, 460, 2WD

The steering box leaks at its input shaft seal. (on top)

How do I fix that, do I need to remove the steering box or is there a way around that?

Should I replace just the seal or also the whole steering box? It has about 90,000 miles on it. I cannot tell any problems while driving.

Reply to
futureworlds

It is bad enough to lower the fluid in the power steering pump to make it whine. It needs replacement.

Reply to
starwars

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:32:18 +0000, Bendt Ten Brock rearranged some electrons to form:

Yup, that's bad.

Reply to
David M

Ok, now I can agree with that. ;)

Mine went to leaking too the lower "sector shaft" had a huge amount of play in it but the seal didn't leak there? Weird. One day it suddenly got worse and had to take the belt off to get it home. :)

The re-build kit is cheap and there isn't much to them.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

If it is the short shaft on top then you are talking about replacing the "stub-shaft seal". Remove the connected arm and anything in the way. Sometimes they will pop-out by revving up the eng. while making a hard right or left turn motion ( at the steering wheel). Replace the seal.

Reply to
Larry Starr

Cool! :)

Alvin