steering problems with 2004 Grand Prix GTP

I've been noticing some sounds coming from the front of my 2004 Grand Prix GTP lately, usually (always?) when turning at low speeds. I saw the following TSBs on

that look like they're describing the problem I'm having:

06-02-32-009 JUL 06 Steering - TSB Overview For Steering Noises 01-02-32-001G MAY 06 Steering - Clunk Felt/Heard From Front End on Turns 06-02-32-005 MAY 06 Steering - Snap/Pop Noise When Turning Steering Wheel 03-02-32-048 NOV 03 Steering - Clicking/Popping Noise on Low Speed Turns 03-02-32-048 OCT 03 Steering - Clicking/Popping On During Low Speed Turns

Has anyone else had this problem and had any luck getting it resolved at a dealership? If so do you have any tips or advice for pointing them in the right direction? I'd like to avoid the usual "we looked and didn't see anything wrong" or "we drove it and didn't hear it" situations.

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
debnjayistaken

Is it a straining/whining noise? If so, check the power steering fluid.

Reply to
jwardl

Yea - that was the first thing I checked. The fluid is OK.

It's definitely a pop or clunk sound.

Reply to
debnjayistaken

GM prints those TSB with repair instructions. The dealer will know what to do. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It's most likely the intermediate steering shaft. Very common problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

#01-02-32-001G Clunk Felt/Noise Heard from Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation. If this discribes your concern then they say lubricate the intermediate shaft...they were/are trying to redesign the intermediate shaft....lubing is not a perminate repair.

Reply to
MrGoodwrench