Steering Shaft adjustment

Hi All,

Last weekend I removed the 3" body lift on my 99 Wrangler that the previous owner put on. I'm noticing a problem with the steering shaft now. I am getting rubbing on the fender from the bottom U-Joint. Plus the U-joint has got a pretty good angle to it now. Does anyonw know how to adjust the length of the steering shaft to reduce the angle?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jeff_p

On the older Jeeps, there was an impact cushion slip joint about half way along the shaft. I would look there for signs it was slipped open. Heat might be needed to slip it shorter.

Mike

Mike Romain

I put a new one in a 95 Yj just last week. The shaft is telescoping in the middle but it is hard to move. You will probably need to take it out to get enough force on it to lengthen it. Also, the only way to increase the distance between steering gear and steering column is to move your steering wheel (and column) farther back into the drivers seating area.

Reply to
nrs